• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rhia tried to die on me today. Ud pg 2

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
Any advice much appreciated if anyone has any, please. I went to Tesco this afternoon, rabbits were fine. Got back, looked out the window & Rhia was flailing around on her back. Getting up, throwing herself on her side. By the time I'd grabbed the phone to ring the vet & got out to her, she was a complete dead weight, her eyes were shut & the only indication that she was still alive is that she was breathing.

On getting to the vets, she had a real thorough examination & she had come round a little bit, but they literally could not find anything the matter. She was still subdued and lethargic in the vets & she said it seemed like there was something brewing, but goodness knows what. She was going to keep her in for monitoring but Rhia doesnt 'do' vets & knowing her like I do, they make her worse, so I have her home.

She's still very quiet, the weirdest thing is that she's acting as though she's never been fed. I know this is a rabbity trait, but she seriously cannot get food in fast enough.

I'm at a complete loss. I think if I hadn't caught her straight away, she'd have died. I am honestly amazed that she is still alive. She is subdued & not herself, but she is alert & eating/pooing etc. I'm so worried though that this will happen again when Im at work. I dont know where to go with it at the vets or anything? Could it have been some kind of seizure? Vet mentioned that it could be something causing problems actually inside her inner ear. I dont know.

:(

Last edited:
Ditto on seizure- this is what happened with one of my buns. I can totally empathize with what your going through. My bun also seemed normal at the vets but died later. She was really ill with respiratory problems too though. Hopefully this won't happen again and your bun doesn't have any major concerning health issues. Sending lots of vibes for you both xxxxxx

Poor Rhia :cry:

I suspect it *might* be a seizure, the causes of which can include Pasteurella (brain abscess) EC, Heart Disease, arterial sclerosis amongst other things.

Did the Vet suggest a 'wait and see' approach at this stage ?

Poor Rhia :(

I agree with the others that a seizure seems most likely.

Sending lots of vibes that she won't have another one x

How scary! :shock: I hope she's feeling a bit better today and you can get to the bottom if it. Sending lots of vibes for Rhia xx

Thanks for replies, I can't get on here at work so apologies for late update. We were back at the vets tonight & after another full examination, everything seems fine - Yet she is so subdued & not Rhia at all. She's spending most of her time laid down asleep. She was just flaked out in the vets & even he said she isn't being her usual fiesty girl self. It's very odd. I am convinced it is her ears as she's messing with them & shaking her head/pulling at them. They couldn't find anything except a bit of excess wax which he didn't think was causing any problem. What would determine what was going on there? The vet yesterday said about an op to see what was going on in the actual inner ear? :? She is really feeling sorry for herself :( XX

An ear infection (and the disorientation that may go with it) is not always visible, but can be identified by a swab. Maybe its worth swabbing both her ears?

I would suggest skull radiographs. I suspect otitis media/interna. This will be painful, hence Rhia's depressed mood.

Am I right in thinking Rhia has a history of Respiratory Tract Infections ? This too would make Otitis a strong possibility

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

http://wildlife1.wildlifeinformation.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/BacterialOtitisMediaInterna.html

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...AEwCg#v=onepage&q=rabbit otitis media&f=false

Personally I would seek a second opinion from another Vet.

Good luck xx

Back