• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Well, look at it this way, at least you can show him how nice it would be to move up a level to something bigger!! I'm sure, handled the right way, he could be shown how it should be done?

Share some of your wonderful bunny experiences with them. Perhaps they will get some ideas about improving the bunnies welfare.

Inspire them, excite them, be enthusiastic, be passionate about bunnies.

Let's hope they are open to new helpful ideas.

Best of luck.xx

Well, look at it this way, at least you can show him how nice it would be to move up a level to something bigger!! I'm sure, handled the right way, he could be shown how it should be done?

Hopefully they will notice without me having to say anything. The hutch looks very strange when you compare to my 7ft by 2.5ft hutch which is only about 10ft away. My run shelter is even deeper:roll:

I'm now worried that the rabbits may catch something from each other. Hopefully it will have been vaccinated etc.

Do you have a large hutch with attached run? Just the contrast between the two hutches could be enough to make them think of getting a new one. I would get to know them, maybe they will comment on your hutch being large and you can hint 'oh, it is only the rspca reccommended minimum size though', play down its largeness and make it seem like yours is a normal size, that should help them think their hutch is small, whereas at the moment they probably think its just average.

I would ask them if its vaccinated though, just ask in a friendly way and if they say no ask if they are planning to. If no again say 'oh, I hope you dont mind then but is there any chance you can not let it run near my run? I just would hate for my rabbits to catch something.'

I dont think the risk is that great though. I THINK the vhd vaccine is very effective, and myxi is unlikely to be passed from bunny to bunny that is 10ft away.

I wouldn't worry just yet, presumably the bun is currently in something so maybe it will come with larger accommodation or a run.

You're setup sounds great so it will be a good inspiration to them either way :)

Do you have a large hutch with attached run? Just the contrast between the two hutches could be enough to make them think of getting a new one. I would get to know them, maybe they will comment on your hutch being large and you can hint 'oh, it is only the rspca reccommended minimum size though', play down its largeness and make it seem like yours is a normal size, that should help them think their hutch is small, whereas at the moment they probably think its just average.

I agree with this :) I think a lot of people *including* members here, started off with unacceptably small hutches - I know I did! You see them sold in petshops, and recommended in books, so it doesn't occur to you that they're not acceptable. Hopefully if they see how happy you rabbit(s) are in their hutch, and if you have friendly chats with them, they will come round to the idea of upgrading theirs.

The thing you must avoid is the temptation to lecture too soon - it'll just push them away and make them unreceptive to your ideas. I know it's tempting though - I often have to bite my tongue :oops:

Ditto the bite your tongue- go for the how to win friends and influence people approach and use diplomacy and tact when dealing with them otherwise you may get there back up about the whole subject, not helping the bun at all.

Could you maybe figure out a way to donate a hutch to them or build a run for the bun as a gift maybe?

I thought I'd give everyone an update on my neighbours rabbit :)

It is a fairly large 2 year old female dutch rabbit who was previously an indoor rabbit. The owner is a lady who is very friendly and she's been asking questions about how to keep rabbits outside. She said that she was concerned about the size of the hutch and that she'd ordered a run from ebay. I was relieved as I couldn't face seeing a rabbit stuck in such a small hutch every day. I came home this evening and the run had arrived. It is 1ft x 4ft x 3ft. I was so disappointed:roll: Hopefully things will improve.

Disappointing but an improvement ;)

It's so hard especially when you just want to tell them what they should be doing.

At least the lady has a heart and has improved things a little. Lets hope things keep going in the right way.

I remember the size hutch I had for my buns 20 years ago - woefully small but as I learnt, I've improved - hopefully she will too

Maybe she didnt realise how small it would be. At least she's trying to do something. Hope it all works out. x

At least she's concerned. It shows that she does care....but is just a bit clueless. Hopefully with some friendly chat she'll learn from you. :D

I started off with a tiny hutch as I didn't know any better and to be honest if I'd had someone to point me in the right direction it would have made all the difference. Could you not pop into conversation so and so makes fantastic hutches or discuss the merits of wooden runs vs metal runs etc, compare prices of vaccinations, or ask her which vet she uses and are they any good....

Back