• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nutmeg my little hero. Pics of post surgery.

fiona3

Warren Scout
I just thought i would let you all know about my wee Nutmeg. He is a wee dwarf lop and a dental bunny who has dentals every month. He is an amazing wee fellow with a will of Iron. He lets me give him his meds without any fuss at all. All the staff at my vets know him and he is a little superstar.

Sadly last week he had to go into the vets to have surgery on an abcess on his face. Mr Lawrie who as far as i am concerned is one of the best vets in Scotland operated on his face. He had quite a major operation to remove the boney abcess and i took him home only a couple of hours after he had the surgery as it was late and i didnt want to leave him overnight.
When i picked him up i was very tearful thinking " what have i done" Was this too much for him? They also had to remove some bone as well and thought maybe his tear duct may be compromised as well as nerve damage. He was very poorly over the weekend, but i kept him inside in my dining room and syringe fed him to top up the little he was eating. He mainly lay on the carpet and ate when i coaxed him or syringe fed him. This is a photo after i took him home.

IMG_0089.jpg

Last night he came into our living room, he has also been chasing the cats and mainly our male cat Toby. He had a check with Mr Lawrie tonight and he is doing sooooo well. Couldnt believe he was eating pellets and running around. The outlook is very good although its not guaranteed the abcess wont come back. He reacted to stimuli on is face and his eye isnt weeping so far. His fur is even growing back in. He is not out of the woods yet. But what a little star.

This is him tonight, eating his pellets and scoffing his food. :D Looking much better!

IMG_0104.jpg

eating his pellets and grapes and happy that Toby is keeping him company. This wee man just amazes me and i love him to bits. Please keep all your fingers and toes crossed that he gets better.

Last edited:
Thats so fantastic . . may I ask what meds he is on for the abscess - or what he had tried before the op?

Hi he is on antibiotic injections every two days of Duphamox 0.34mls, oral painkillers of Metacam 0.14ml and i am topping up his food with oxbow critical care. Doing well so far although he has lost a wee stich in his face. Vet not concerned by that.

Nutmeg has had dentals every month for molar spurs since he was a year old. He has dental maloclussion. He has had xrays and its clear its a genetic/breeding problem and not related to his diet now. His tear duct has been affected possibly by elongate roots but that has only been recently. . His facial swelling only came up last month before his last dental. So far we hope his tear duct hasnt been damaged by the surgery and he has had no discharge since. Fingers crossed no further damage has been done.

Last edited:
Poor wee scone, I may have seen you in Lawrie's at some point recently as I practically live there with my rats and snake. :oops:

Kermit said something to me the other day...she said give a bunny all the illnesses possible....they manage so well, but give one pellet too many...and its chaos!! Your fella is an example!!
What a brave young man you have there!!! Bless him!!
Lots of love and vbibes from us here to further speed on his recovery.xxxxxxx

Poor wee scone, I may have seen you in Lawrie's at some point recently as I practically live there with my rats and snake. :oops:

Nutmeg could probably get a taxi himself and make his own appointments the amount of times he is there! :lol: I am at the one in Cumbernauld so if i see someone with a snake or rat i will say hello.:wave:

Came home to find Nutmeg had pulled the rest of his stiches out!:shock: The wound is healing although not as neat as before, but i guess his looks are the least of his problems.:shock:

Nutmeg could probably get a taxi himself and make his own appointments the amount of times he is there! :lol: I am at the one in Cumbernauld so if i see someone with a snake or rat i will say hello.:wave:

I normally use the one in Falkirk. Have been to the Cumbernauld one a few times out of hours (last Wednesday night being the most recent).

Did have a couple of bad experiences at the Falkirk branch and from now on will only be making appointments with the vets I like. Not all of them that work there are as good as Mr Lawrie. :(

Hope your wee man is OK after taking his stitches out, I've been lucky enough not to experience that happening so far.

I agree. I only ever ask to see Mr Shilliday, Mr or Mrs Lawrie. Mostly Mrs Lawrie. Seem to have dozens of vets. Just missed you last week, i was there on , Tuesday, Thursday and Yesterday. :lol: I should just have a standing order from my bank to McGuire and Lawrie. :lol:

Thanks everyone. I will keep you up to date on how he is doing. Got two days off so hope to get him back outside with his girlfriend, vet said he is fine to go back to outdoors which means rebonding. I think my nerves will be shattered come Sunday. His girlfriend Hazel was in for a visit tonight and Nutmeg was doing what rabbits do! :oops: She gave him a few bum nips but im so worried about his face. Fingers crossed. Remind me again why i keep rabbits???????? :lol:

Back