• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We lost Roxy today

Jacq

Warren Scout
Roxy passed away in my arms this morning after 4 days of vet treatment for stasis. I am annoyed that the emergency vet was 40 minutes away but that's another story.
We let Max, her bonded partner, sit with her which was for about 10 minutes and then he went to eat his breakfast. He's never been one for snuggles but allowed me to pick him up and sat with me on the sofa when I came home from work. He's now decided that he wants to sit at the back of the utility room and I can't coax him out, though he is eating veg if I put it by him. My OH has said about getting another wife for him but I can't think about that right now, it seems disloyal. I know I will do what is the right thing by Max. Will he be ok on his own for a while. He spent time every day either in the garden or the lounge by himself so I'm hoping he will be. Both rabbits were rescue buns and both were house rabbits.
Any advice will be much appreciated. I found the site when looking online so am new here today.

Thanks
Jacqui and Max

I can't help with this one but just wanted to say am so sorry that you lost Roxy. Heartbreaking for you both! I hope Max is okay (and you of course).

So sorry to hear about Roxy.
IMO you need to be guided by Max re getting another wife for him.
Its not disloyal to Roxy if it makes Max more content.
But I know its really hard to even contemplate when emotions are raw & you are grieving.
I think you will know when the time is right.

Sorry for your loss :(
Hope you feel better
I don't think it will be disloyal to get her a companion,
Like the above post you'll know when to get her friend

I'm so very sorry for your loss :cry: I share with you the feelings of grief and being disloyal having lost my gorgeous boy Bungle last Thursday. For me I had to think like a bunny.... Nushka was with Bungle when he died and for the night after. She has accepted his death and is ready to move on. For me its not so easy... however I realise my girl is lonely and I need to do the best for her. I am collecting her new partner tomorrow and they will live side by side and give each other comfort until they are ready to be bonded fully.

It helped me to think of Nushka all alone and also that I would be able to give another rescue bun a home.... it doean't stop the pain but it helps... x

Julia123. So sorry to hear that you lost Bungle and hope both you and Nushka are ok.
Thank you to everyone for your kind words, it helps when others know how you are feeling.
Max spent a few hours alone with Roxy so I'm hoping that he understands.
He hasn't wanted to go in the garden today and we normally joke that it's a good job we don't have a bunny flap.
I'm keeping an eye on him and if he needs company then his needs come first but I am thinking it will just go round in circles, get 2 buns, lose a bun, get another bun and can we cope with that.

Thanks again for all of your messages.

Jacqui

I am so sorry to hear about Roxy. Just take your time, I am sure Max will soon show u one way or another when/ if he needs another friend. I hope he is feeling his normal self again soon.

i'm so sorry for your loss, its one of the hardest things ever to loose a much loved pet and part of the family.

when i lost Dorothy she was bonded to Buddy and he spent 2 days eating very little and just hiding away, he is also always outside when he can be but never showed any interest.
within 2 days i got Maisie for him as i was so worried. they bonded almost immediately so 18 months later after an awful storm through the night when i went out to the shed and found her dead it was an awful shock and poor buddy once again pined.
the next day i got Blousy and Tallulah but this time he showed no interest, my vet said he was still pining for Maisie and to give him time. it took a couple of days before he started showing an interest again.

it does feel awful and disloyal to go straight out and get another bunny but it isn't if you are doing it for the right reasons. just keep an eye on Max and see how he is on his own if you aren't ready yourself yet. you have already said his needs come first which is all he can ask.

Back