• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oxbow Young Bunny Food to Feed Up a Poorly Older Bun?

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
I've been wondering about whether to supplement or change Muesli's pellets to help him put on weight. He is an older bunny (6-7yrs approx) and has kidney problems, and is underweight.

He currently gets Allen & Page pellets, 50g a day, in addition to timothy hay, green oat hay, veggies, herbs, and dried weeds/leaves.

I read a bit about Oxbow Bunny Basics as its often regarded as one of the best bunny foods, and noticed on the Younger Bunny one it says it is suitable for older rabbits with weight loss due to age or illness. See below.

http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/pr...DAE02F02703BA205DD4E3E88.vipa-03b?object=1543

Do you think it would be worth either changing them over or adding them in to the Allen & Page, or just feeding him a few extra on his own? I am worried it might lead to weight gain in Starbuck, but Starbuck is also a little on the light side at the moment (but has put weight on easily in the past).

I know that Oxbow is alfalfa-based so is this ill-advised in a renal bunny? But then I think A&P is too :?

Sorry if this should be in health section Mods - feel free to move it.

I do this regularly with bunnies who need to put on some weight. You lose nothing by trying, but introduce very slowly because some tummies can't cope with the extra protein.

Thank you Sky-O :wave:

ETA: do you mix it in with their usual pellets as a supplement, or do you feed just this?

Last edited:
I put Merlin on Excel junior for a while when he was very underweight. Haven't tried bunny basics version though.

Back