• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cuprinol Garden Shades should only be used on exterior

loppy ears

Warren Veteran
I emailed Cuprinol to ask if they had any wood treatments which would be rabbit safe and they have replied saying

'......Cuprinol Garden Shades is a water based product and to be used exterior only.........'

Does anybody know of a rabbit safe wood treatment that can be used inside the rabbit kennel?

I thought it was safe. I've used it inside the bunnies' kennel and run and so have lots of others.

I think exterior means as in 'outdoors'; which the inside of the run technically is as it's in the garden. If that makes sense. :?

I emailed Cuprinol to ask if they had any wood treatments which would be rabbit safe and they have replied saying

'......Cuprinol Garden Shades is a water based product and to be used exterior only.........'

Does anybody know of a rabbit safe wood treatment that can be used inside the rabbit kennel?

I think Cuprinol have to cover themselves in case of illness. By adding this disclaimer, they can't be found negligent if a bunny becomes ill and their accommodation is painted on the inside with this paint. I have had it in my housing for years now with no ill effects. I think there is more likelyhood of a bunny becoming ill from chewing things like wall paper with glue, or gloss paint on skirting boards.:D

I thought it was safe. I've used it inside the bunnies' kennel and run and so have lots of others.

I think exterior means as in 'outdoors'; which the inside of the run technically is as it's in the garden. If that makes sense. :?

Well I asked them in my email if they had any wood treatment I could use inside my kennel they said I could use Cuprinol Garden Shades but only on the exterior not inside

All our hutches and boxes etc are painted either in Cuprinol or the Wilkinsons version, and have been well chewed at with no problems :)

Well I asked them in my email if they had any wood treatment I could use inside my kennel they said I could use Cuprinol Garden Shades but only on the exterior not inside

Perhaps they just thought that of the exterior was treated the interior wouldn't need to be treated as well :wave:

I think Cuprinol have to cover themselves in case of illness. By adding this disclaimer, they can't be found negligent if a bunny becomes ill and their accommodation is painted on the inside with this paint. I have had it in my housing for years now with no ill effects. I think there is more likelyhood of a bunny becoming ill from chewing things like wall paper with glue, or gloss paint on skirting boards.:D

Are your bunnies chewers? I was surprised when they said not to use the garden shades inside the kennel as I thought a lot of people on here use it

Are your bunnies chewers? I was surprised when they said not to use the garden shades inside the kennel as I thought a lot of people on here use it

Some of the accommodation has been chewed yes and I've no reason to believe that anyone got poorly from it.

Maybe it would be more of an issue if they were destructo buns and there was some kind of toxic buildup, but none of mine are that bad. Where there are uprights in hutches or wendy houses, I put plain unpainted untreated wooden battens along the bits tht stick out for the bunnies to chew instead. That way they are safe and can also be removed and replaced when they get chewed down, protecting the actual housing itself.

They told me when I phoned them that it was animal safe. I've used it in my hutches and they have been chewed and re-painted for the last 5 years without any issues :wave:

All our hutches and boxes etc are painted either in Cuprinol or the Wilkinsons version, and have been well chewed at with no problems :)

The man in Wilkinsons said they did not sell anything suitable for rabbit hutches and told me to go to pets at home, they are maybe covering themselves in case a bunny gets sick and they are blamed :? I know lots of people on here use garden shades so I emailed Cuprinol to see what they say about using them on the inside of kennels and they replied that it is safe to use on the exterior only once it is dry, maybe they are covering themselves as if a bunny did become ill they could say we told you not to use it:?

The man in Wilkinsons said they did not sell anything suitable for rabbit hutches and told me to go to pets at home, they are maybe covering themselves in case a bunny gets sick and they are blamed :? I know lots of people on here use garden shades so I emailed Cuprinol to see what they say about using them on the inside of kennels and they replied that it is safe to use on the exterior only once it is dry, maybe they are covering themselves as if a bunny did become ill they could say we told you not to use it:?

Probably - we live in a society when everyone can get sued so easily :(

I did buy hutch preservative from pets at home, and it was disgusting, horrible to use, and stunk for days after it had been put on, so that went to the tip!

Probably - we live in a society when everyone can get sued so easily :(

I did buy hutch preservative from pets at home, and it was disgusting, horrible to use, and stunk for days after it had been put on, so that went to the tip!

The Ryedale hutch man says to use Good For Wood

I think it's probably just to cover themselves; I'm pretty sure it says 'animal safe' on the tin. Alfie and Bubbles have had various nibbles. :roll:

Back