• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Perry is not well?

meadowsweet

Mama Doe
Perry is just not behaving as he normally does.
He is very subdued and not eating.
No obvious symtoms, tail end is clean, no cecatrobes in his hutch or run.
Its just not like him to be so withdrawn.
He did not even move when Clover was eating a bit of apple which is so unlike him as normally he runs off with it and makes her chase him.
He has a vets app at 5.20 so hope the vet can actually pinpoint something as we know he not right.
PICT3190.jpg

:love: As I said via PM, giving him a heat source would be a good idea. Also, grass and dandelion might entice him too.

I hope he perks up soon and the vets can help.

Good luck at the vets :)

Oh C'mon Perry, you beautiful little fluffer you.

Loads of eating and feeling better vibes.

Good luck at the vets meadowsweet :wave:

Let us know how you get on.

Just giving Perry and Clover some quality time with me in the conservatory and he even ignored he freshly picked dandelion leaves and let Clover eat them.
He is moulting tons as well.

:( Chances are the moulting is related. He's such a complete fluffball, that's not a surprise.

Oh no, not another bunny not eating. :(

On Sunday my Daisy was the same as you are describing Perry and we ended up at the emergency clinic at 1.00am on Monday morning and then at my vets when they opened first thing on Monday. Daisy went into stasis and has been very poorly, but she's recovering well now and was allowed home earlier today.

Glad you've got an appointment to see the vet today and I hope they get Perry sorted quickly. Daisy improved quickly once the medication got into her system.

I found dandelion leaves very good for tempting Daisy to eat.

Sending lots of get well vibes for Perry....he is a gorgeous bunny. xx

Nothing advice wise to add, but wanted to send some vibes.
Seems we have lots of bunnies with sore tummies at the moment!

Oh no, not another bunny not eating. :(

On Sunday my Daisy was the same as you are describing Perry and we ended up at the emergency clinic at 1.00am on Monday morning and then at my vets when they opened first thing on Monday. Daisy went into stasis and has been very poorly, but she's recovering well now and was allowed home earlier today.

Glad you've got an appointment to see the vet today and I hope they get Perry sorted quickly. Daisy improved quickly once the medication got into her system.

I found dandelion leaves very good for tempting Daisy to eat.

Sending lots of get well vibes for Perry....he is a gorgeous bunny. xx

So many buns off their food at the moment:cry:

back from the vets

Perry is back home now but we still do not know what is troubling him.
Vet gave him a good examination and could not find anything obvious but we know our rabbit and know that this is not normal for him.
He was very well behaved until he had his teeth looked at but they looked good.
Vet gave him a Metacam inj and GI preparations Metoclopramide and Zantac syrup.
When he got home he hopped straight up into his bedroom area of their hutch:(
Will be keeping regular checks on him tonight.

Poor chap. Hopefully within an hour and a half he will have improved because the pain relief will have kicked in by then. If he hasn't improved (got more lively, eating something, passed something) by then, then it might be worth another call to the vets.

:( Stressful evening for you. I'm in all evening if you need anything.

Could you maybe offer him some flavoured waters (as well as his normal plain water) in bowls to try and entice him? If he starts drinking then that is the most important thing right now.

Peppermint infusion can work well.

The naughty thing to do (but what I tend to do) is to use crnaberry juice or apple juice. It should be freshly squeezed but I buy the cartons (Oceanspray from cranberry- full sugar, not lite or mixed flavour or anything). Those aren't ideal though, but they can be enough.

Also if he has a favourite food, you can try making your own infusion of that and using boiling water over it to infuse it into the water, and then leave it to cool.

Also, keep trying fresh grass and his fave foods :)

Back