• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hatton Country World Selling Bunnies :o(

Julia123

Warren Veteran
I can't believe it, Hatton Country World have started selling bunnies :cry::cry:

http://www.hattonworld.com/shoppingvillage/

I haven't been down myself yet but apparently they are selling 3ft hutches to go with them!!!!!

Why is it always one step forward two steps back! I will go and see them with some Easter Amnesty info and care leaflets .... :roll: :cry:

I can't believe it, Hatton Country World have started selling bunnies :cry::cry:

I haven't been down myself yet but apparently they are selling 3ft hutches to go with them!!!!!

Why is it always one step forward two steps back! I will go and see them with some Easter Amnesty info and care leaflets .... :roll: :cry:

You might also wish to check whether the business(es) selling bunnies have the requisite Pet Shop Licence.

In which case they are obliged to display a copy in the store.

Plus, they are legally obliged to comply with every Condition.

:(

best of luck with the info. doubt they'll take part in the amnesty if this is their easter sales pitch:(

I've just noticed (on the website) that they are having the following:

Fat Fluffs Bunny Bonanza 1st & 2nd May 2011

A change to meet lots of rescue rabbits, enjoy face painting, have a go on the tombola and try your hand at many family games and activities at this charity fundraising event.

Free Admission

Maybe Fat Fluffs Rescue have some contacts within the Hatton Shopping Village management that could be contacted regarding the Amnesty?

Oh no thats really bad. :(:(

On the one hand though it doesnt surprise me as they always have loads of baby animals in there around this time for their "Petting Farm".

Its a bloomin rip-off as well.

I'm very sad to see they have taken this step though AND selling 3ft hutches :evil::evil:

Disgusting!

The Council that covers Hatton Shopping Village is Warwick District Council.

On the basis of information obtained from Warwick District Council, the only business within Hatton Shopping Village that has a Pet Shop Licence is Mr J Ranson and Mrs J Ranson (trading as Ransons Garden Centre). Their relevant licence number is 4/11.

A copy of the Council's Pet Shop Licence Conditions can be obtained from the Council.

In these Pet Shop Licence Conditions:

14.0 PET CARE ADVICE

14.1 Pet Care Trust Pet Care leaflets or other similar written instructions should be made available to customers where appropriate at the time of purchase.

14.2 Purchasers of accessories should, where necessary, be given proper advice as to their maintenance and use.

14.3 The PCT Pet Store Manual or other appropriate reference books must always be available for use by staff.

The Pet Care Trust produces the following "Caring for Your Rabbit" leaflet:

http://www.petcare.org.uk/images/stories/leaflets/2010%20colour%20leaflets/Caring%20for%20your%20Rabbit.pdf

Housing

Rabbits should be provided with as large cage as possible in which they can comfortably stand on their hind legs.....

In addition, the Pet Shop Licence Conditions state:

15.0 STAFF TRAINING AND LIVESTOCK KNOWLEDGE

15.1 No animal should be stocked or sold unless the staff (or member of the staff) is familiar with the care and welfare of that animal.

15.3 The licensee must formulate a written training policy for all permanent staff, and will be required to demonstrate that systematic training is carried out.

Considering the above, and in accordance with Condition 15.1, it might be considered reasonable to expect the staff to be familiar with the hutch recommendations of the RWA, etc.

Perhaps the shop might like to "justify" the tiny hutches in this context?:?

Hope this helps.:wave:

Have been to Hatton today, to say I am disgusted is an understatement, I was almost in tears when I left, it's horrible and the poor animals they have for sale..........long haired lionhead cashmere crosses kept on wood shavings:evil: all the rabbits are in glass compartments and are low enough for children to bang and kick the glass, none of the rabbits had any hay and never have had, they just had dishes full up with pellets, I took some pictures whilst I was there, they clearly don't know the basics about rabbits, the food dish was directly underneath the water bottle

Testing016x2.jpg

Testing017x2.jpg

Testing018x2.jpg

Testing019x2.jpg

Last edited:
Have been to Hatton today, to say I am disgusted is an understatement, I was almost in tears when I left, it's horrible and the poor animals they have for sale..........long haired lionhead cashmere crosses kept on wood shavings:evil: all the rabbits are in glass compartments and are low enough for children to bang and kick the glass, none of the rabbits had any hay and never have had, they just had dishes full up with pellets, I took some pictures whilst I was there, they clearly don't know the basics about rabbits

Clearly the pet shop operator involved needs to read its Pet Shop Licence Conditions (with which they agreed to comply when they applied for their Pet Shop Licence).:roll:

long haired lionhead cashmere crosses kept on wood shavings

BUT:

Pet Shop Licence Condition:

1.1 Animals must at all times be kept in suitable accommodation with respect to construction size, temperature, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness.

all the rabbits are in glass compartments and are low enough for children to bang and kick the glass

BUT:

1.4 Animals must not be kept in housing in such a way that they can be interfered with by other animals or the public.

none of the rabbits had any hay and never have had, they just had dishes full up with pellets

BUT:

6.0 FOOD AND DRINK

6.1 Animals must be supplied with adequate amounts of food and drink, appropriate to their needs, and at suitable intervals.

6.2 All food must be suitable for the species concerned.

they clearly don't know the basics about rabbits

BUT:

15.0 STAFF TRAINING AND LIVESTOCK KNOWLEDGE

15.1 No animal should be stocked or sold unless the staff (or member of the staff) is familiar with the care and welfare of that animal.

In order to help the poor buns, these non-compliancies with the Pet Shop Licence Conditions need to be brought to the Council's attention.:evil:

Last edited:
Those units look like chiller cabinets!!!!!! The sort you find in grocery shops.

How awful for those poor bunnies. :cry::cry:

Let's hope their welfare improves very, very soon.

Fingers, toes and paws crossed for all of them.

Unfortunately Hatton have had a bad reputation for years around the care of their guinea pig community - I know someone who worked there and it was quite clear that any that fell sick wouldn't be taken to a vet.

Seeing those poor rabbits just sickens me.

It makes you wonder whether we'll ever get near to improving the lot of domestic rabbits:cry::cry:

Jane Dexter also had a stand at Hatton last year, as she is based in Warwick.

If someone has her contact details to notify her, she may be able to talk with them too - she's pretty persuasive on bunny welfare.

Jane Dexter also had a stand at Hatton last year, as she is based in Warwick.

If someone has her contact details to notify her, she may be able to talk with them too - she's pretty persuasive on bunny welfare.

I've been talking with Jane and Theo about this... I will TRY and get them to see sense, I have the Make Mine Chocolate posters and leaflets to take up there as soon as I get chance - hopefully Sat or Sun ..... I'm not looking forward to seeing this with my own eyes.

I will also be contacting the management of Hatton with my concerns - wish me luck!

Good luck Julia - thank you to you, Theo and Jane for doing something about this.

I cant believe what those bunnies are in - I too thought they looked like chiller cabinets :cry::cry:

Its just awful, really shocking. I will try and put a letter together to Hatton and the local Council in the next few days.

Thank you for going up there Theo :cry::cry::cry:

I went there are 2.45pm this afternoon and the conversation with the assistant was something else

Me "Hello, is that the only two rabbits you have"
Asst "No, theres 4, one in each cubicle"
Me "They have got sawdust stick in their fur"
Asst " It's not sawdust it's wood shavings"
Me "But it's sticking in their fur and it's matting them"
Asst - Ignored me
Me "They haven't got any hay"
Asst "No, that's because I haven't cleaned them out yet"
Me "But they haven't got any hay at all"
Asst - Turned her back on me and ignored me
Me "Excuse me but they need some hay"
Asst - Totally ignored me had her back to me and refused to acknowledge me
Me "The food bowl in right under the water bottle and it's dripping"
Asst - Again totally ignored me

I left the place as I could feel I was getting angry

By keeping the rabbits in such condtions etc, what does this convey to the general public?

Perhaps some folks might think this is okay!!!!!:evil::evil::evil:

Many, many years ago I also visited Hatton Park. A trip round the so called "Guinea Pig Village" was very sweet.............................., but in hindsight appalling.

Don't get me wrong they had space, hidey holes, food, water all of those needs were being met. :D:D

The down side was that the males and females were not segregated so the inevitable was happening. Inter- breeding, weaker runts of the litter having to fight daily for their food, poorly piggies left to fend for themselves and any injured also left to fight it out for food etc. :evil::evil::evil:

Needless to say I haven't been since.

I wish I had mentioned something there and then.

Let's hope this thread can result in vast improvements for the welfare of the rabbits and guineas. Well perhaps also any others in need of help there.

The general public need to be educated about the right way of keeping animals whatever they may be.

Such businesses should be held more responsible for making prospective owners aware of all aspects of the animals' welfare.

Fingers, toes and paws crossed that we can make a difference.

Last edited:
Rang them to complain, oh dear didn't get much response so will go to the next stage

That says it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock::shock::shock:

We really hope that things will be changed. Fingers, toes and paws crossed here.

Beso of luck.

I think they always have sold rabbits - the extras from their cuddle corner; what is new is the fancy cages and the high profile.
What is even worse is Henley market which is really close too - they auction rabbits for only a few pounds each, their license says only for meat but people bring their pets to sell:evil::evil::evil:

The contrast in price is amazing - Hatton charging £40 and Henley flogging them for a couple of quid just down the road. Lets hope no one will pay their prices and they will learn their mistake. And it sounds like they might get loads of grief too. Maybe they will learn the error of their ways if enough people complain/

Back