• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i could cry (update - she;s home and well)

mini lop1

Wise Old Thumper
i just weighed mabel, and thought no this can;t be right so i redid her a few times but got the same answer 0.75kg :shock: thats what rosie was, mabel shouldn;t be soo low in weight, im going to take her back to vets, she is fine in herself still though :?

she must be about 5 half months old now and 0.75kg for a mini lop just doesn;t add up :cry:

Last edited:
Have you been weighing her reguarly Lisa? Hs her weight been steadily increasing if so?

She may just be a naturally small bunny. Weight isn't really a good indicator alone but the vet will be able to assess if she feels the right size if you're not sure yourself. You should be able to feel the ribs and spine but they shouldn't be overly prominent.

Pie is a mini lop and at 2 years old is only just about 1.5kgs. But I struggle keeping her weight on.

thanks, i know her dad is only small, the smallest size a mini lop could be, her mum was quite large though, i had been weighing her every mointh and she;d been 1kg, but today i read that and nearly died of shock :shock:, yes they eat together, but ive watched them and she shoves her head right in their soo she gets her share, but she prefers to eat haya more i think, this morning ive given her a few extra pellets and a carrot, while locksley can;t see, she feels boney but has done for quite a while, her poo's are healthy golden ones, they are fed SS and veggies at night with constant hay, she did soo many poo's last night as a thankyou for getting her a new willow toy to chew, soo when she chewed it she left behind presents for me :lol:

think ill continue to feed together, but separate for bit and give her extra when locksley isn;t watching, overwise he will get jealous

they both love their food

just given her some fenugreek crunchies nommy :) i said to mum these can all be for her and not locks he doesn;t need them :lol:

Sorry to be a bit blunt but
You have been worried about little Mabel since the time you got her and have posted several times about her being underweight
She may just be a runty bun and will always be skinny but healthy
But ..she may be a badly bred little rabbit as wasn't she from the same place as a baby that died very young?..and wasn't she snotty when you first got her?
I hope the vet can sort her and at least she has a loving mummy to make sure she is cared for properly..good luck at the vets x

Sorry to be a bit blunt but
You have been worried about little Mabel since the time you got her and have posted several times about her being underweight
She may just be a runty bun and will always be skinny but healthy
But ..she may be a badly bred little rabbit as wasn't she from the same place as a baby that died very young?..and wasn't she snotty when you first got her?
I hope the vet can sort her and at least she has a loving mummy to make sure she is cared for properly..good luck at the vets x

no none of her siblings died young :wave: you maybe thinking of the netherland dwarf i had for a night maybe, but not from same place
she wasn;t snotty when i got her, that was few months after, when i got her she was bigger then what locksley was at 8weeks of age, she wasn;t thin in feeling back then at 8weeks of age, and grandma said she trhought she'd be a big girl

Last edited:
no none of her siblings died young :wave: you maybe thinking of the netherland dwarf i had for a night maybe, but not from same place
she wasn;t snotty when i got her, that was few months after, when i got her she was bigger then what locksley was at 8weeks of age, she wasn;t thin in feeling back then at 8weeks of age, and grandma said she trhought she'd be a big girl

Awww Lisa what a worry these Buns can be. I know that you will make sure that Mabel receives any Veterinary treatment she needs. Lots of vibes for her :love:

Awww Lisa what a worry these Buns can be. I know that you will make sure that Mabel receives any Veterinary treatment she needs. Lots of vibes for her :love:

thankyou jane :wave: i know i put her on scales this morning and was like :shock: rosie all over again, taking mabel to vets tomorrow morning to be checked, i tolod them id been checking her monthly and she'd been 1kg not gaining, and what she was today, i continue feeding her with locksley but also sneaking her some extra bits if i need to, she enjoyed a sneaky carrot anyway

then when i put them back together she tried to mount him for the first time :lol: for a few seconds, so no problems with her rabbit instincts

thankyou jane :wave: i know i put her on scales this morning and was like :shock: rosie all over again, taking mabel to vets tomorrow morning to be checked, i tolod them id been checking her monthly and she'd been 1kg not gaining, and what she was today, i continue feeding her with locksley but also sneaking her some extra bits if i need to, she enjoyed a sneaky carrot anyway

then when i put them back together she tried to mount him for the first time :lol: for a few seconds, so no problems with her rabbit instincts

You did a 28 day course of Panacur for her didn't you, or am I getting muddled up on that :?

I put any buns with weight issues on a high pellet diet- i fill those little brown bowls right up tot he top- i have one with spurs and he hasn't had to go for 3months even with all the pellets i've been giving him. He is still not putting much weight on though. I know how this feels- can be disturbing- have you had a liver check- my vets did that straight away- it can be a sign of liver problems. Keep on with the vets- hope things improve xxxx

As she's been losing weight, then I think you're doing the right thing by taking her to the vets. :) If she'd always been small but still putting on weight it wouldn't be such a concern but that's a lot of weight for a bun to lose.

Let us know how you get on. :wave:

I am mmore than sure you will sort Mabel out and knowing you, you will probably be worrying over nothing:D.

Good luck at the vets tomorrow, I will be thinking of you

I am mmore than sure you will sort Mabel out and knowing you, you will probably be worrying over nothing:D.

Good luck at the vets tomorrow, I will be thinking of you

thanks kay :wave: even mum and nan say she doesn;t feel right weight, with her spine being soo dominant, im hoping its rosie's original vet tomorrow she is more knowlegable, i am going to get a bag of junior burgess on way home too, and give mabel some of that for a while with her SS, its what i did with rosie, i hope she will be ok, and that im just a worrying mummy and love her too much :oops:

Has anyone actually though about checking the scales? Use a variety of different scales to weigh your bunny. You'll be amazed at the difference a different scale can do. Loadcells can be damaged easily and various other componants, they are VERY delicate machines. A slight drop or nock can make a good set of scales either read to high or too low. I'd say check on another set of scales before you worry too much.

Back