• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sounding like a 'squeaky chamois' when eating or over exerting? (plus dysbiosis Q)

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
Any ideas?

ETA- also, while I've made a thread, I might as well ask this. The bunny is getting cecal dysbiosis when eating too any pellets, but is completely emaciated so he needs them. Is on protexin profibre pellets. Won't eat bramble leaves or anything :roll: So I'm trying to finely balance it so he gets maximum pellets but no dysbiosis, but something else other than pellets seems to be causing the dysbiosis so I'm not winning. any ideas on that as well?

Last edited:
:? I'm unsure. I think its the throat. Its also not all the time when he eats or whatever. Its on and off.

ETA- to me it almost sounds like the bunny equivalent of the noise we might make if lifting something really heavy, but that may not be the right interpretation. :lol: But he is pretty weak and frail.

Nutmeg does a quiet guinea pig impression when stressed (ie. being held) or sleeping in bunny loaf position. Mark says she has a lung weakness from a previous pasteurella episode likely before we got her as she's been like this for as long as I can remember.

Hmmmmmmmm, not sure given that it does not happen all the time :?

No other symptoms I assume ?

Plenty, this is just the most recent one that I don't understand.

Has some sort of laryngeal issue (likely genetic defect), and is on Zithromax, Corvental and Prednicare, and looks like the steroid has finally pushed him into liver failure (vet feels he has an enlarged liver, not done any more diagnostics- not appropriate to). He is healthy at 1.45kg, went down to 1.3kg and then just crashed to 1.15kg, which is when he started making the noise. Have raised his weight a small amount and its lesser now.

His breathing is really pretty good for him and he is on the smallest amount of steroids than he has been for 10 months, but despite being very lively, is so, so frail. He's a bag of bones.

Has he had a recent blood test to check his Liver function ?

Not, but presume you didn't see the bit I put above about my vet feels his liver is failing, when you posted (timing and all).

We don't feel its appropriate to put him through the stress of that because travelling stresses him out and throws his breathing completely.

What makes you ask about the liver? (again presuming you sked without seeing what I said).

Yeh, we a cross posting so I didn't see you mention his Liver.

Does he have a pot belly even though he is very thin ?

Not a huge one. I have seen far worse in both Summer and Cloud when their livers were packing up.

That said, with the weight he has put on, it is on his belly, not over his bones.

Back