• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
I wish i wasn't thinking this, but i have been for a while, and perhaps its time to ask opinions of the RU Gang.

I'm thinking of bonding another bun into B&G's bond.

This is NOT me wanting another bun.

I'm thinking for Biscuit.

I've got to think of everything and it hurts like hell.

When Ginger goes (whenever that may be, it could be tomorrow, it could be 4 years for all i know - she's been given 9-12 months, but is a fighter and surprises everyone) Biscuit's going to be lonely. I know this is a fact, and i know i need to do whats best for him.

So, knowing what i do, this is what i ahve right now;

Biscuit: dominant as far as most things are concerned, but placid, very friendly, hates being held, but very friendly all the same. Very food oriented.

Ginger: dominant as far as territory is concerned, very human friendly. Asks for cuddles, loves to be held. Also very food oriented.

Both were a VERY easy bond.

If they were to be bonded with another bun, and it all went **** up, i genuinely couldnt keep 3 single buns, but im confident that i could re-bond B&G :)?).

So i guess i have questions :(

Would a rescue take back a bun that wouldnt bond if it happened?

I'd think of taking a bun on that was possibly a problematic health bun, but not one with massive hugely expensive issues, i could handle RTI issues, i have basic experience of it.

I've even looked at a possible bun, but im all stumped.

I dont know if i should do it. B&G have such a bond, im frightened to break it. Biscuit will NOT be good on his own again, and i dont know if Ginger would do very well on her own at all.

Also, stress could make her issues even worse.

I dont even know what im asking.

I just want someone to tell me what to do, but nobody can :cry:

I've thought similarly Gray but decided that the stress of bonding could exasterbate Bluebells health issues and that ultimately it would be better to rebond Willow when the inevitable happens.

I've also wondered if ultimately you'd endup with two grieving buns instead of one, obviously they'd have company still but they must realise somebun is missing.

I've had a failed trio and it didn't have a detrimental effect on the existing pair, they didn't fall out at all but it can happen.

I really don't know as over a month on and my 2 still arn't bonded.
But just wanted to say I think what you are doing IS a wise move (as in thinking about this) and it's NOT about getting another bun to "make up" for little Ginger when she does leave for the Bridge. But Amy does also have a good point.
When she does go, Biscuit may need the time alone to grieve. :(
I know you're going through some tough times with Ginge at the moment Gray, all the best (((hugs)))

I'm sorry I don't have any advice as have no experience with anything like that but I'm sorry that you're in a difficult situation :( I think quite a few rescues do take back buns if they don't bond, providing they're aren't too far away to arrange transport back again. It may be good for them both, especially for Biscuit if he is ever going to be left on his own but then as you've explained it could do some harm :? I'm really not sure what to say but best wishes with whatever you decide and nose rubs for B&G xxx I have a B&G too! xx

You know what I think. Having spoken to you about my Dopeys and them not coping apart, so adding in the third. I think if I hadn't, or if they did end up a pair and one died, the other would follow very swiftly.

I also applied the same theory with Autumn and Wish, adding Flame. Autumn would likely cope, but with his behavioural problems I'm unsure.

That said, you do need to consider the stress on Ginger's body. But if its an easy bond, because she is so laid back, that may be a minimal issue. also, introducing a new bunny and what it carries non symptomatically (or symptomatically) to her less than ideal immune system.

I would suggest talking to a rescue about whether or not they would take the bunny back. Most, I presume, would. I know we definitely would, but the bunny would go into strict quaratine after.

Its important to make an informed decision, but, as I say, you know what I think.

ETA- in response to what Amy said, seeing two buns grieving is so different from seeing one lonely bunny grieving. They get some much comfort from each other; comfort that we as people, can not provide.

The rescue I fostered for (not the new awful one) would take back buns if a bond didnt work (had to swap a bun myself). I found the best thing is to introduce them for a few minutes and gauge their reaction - not sure how this would work with a trio though as I have only done it with 2 singles.

I am also worried as Alfie & Tilly have such a good bond and wondering what will happen if I add a third. My 2 are both very laid back and took to each other straight away.

ETA- in response to what Amy said, seeing two buns grieving is so different from seeing one lonely bunny grieving. They get some much comfort from each other; comfort that we as people, can not provide.

Thanks Sky. I can only speculate as never experienced it first hand, its nice to know that they comfort each other so much.

I can only comment on what I felt was best for Bluebell. Whilst he and Willow are insperable, I am confident that she would cope temporarily where as Bluebell being the dominant bunny would find a new introduction very stressful and I'm worried it would be detrimental.

Plus I have the advantage in that I have other buns so could always bond Willow with another pair if I felt she needed company sooner than later.

You said yourself that they were both an easy bond. If you find a rabbit with a similar nature to your existing 2 they may bond just fine.

A lot of rescues to do the whole 'reserved pending bond' thing so you could always trial a rabbit? When I bonded my two the bond so literally so easy they seemed fully bonded within a matter of minutes, and we only stuck it through to be sure.

It also depends on if you can afford another rabbit, or have the space etc?

Hey Graham,

I dont want to give advice but wanted to share with you the experience I had when I lost Sookie.

Rodge was extremely distraught at being alone & his behaviour changed. With Sookie he had learnt to trust me & would happily go back into his hutch after free range time. When Sookie died, he was jumpy, hyper & hated being shut in his hutch.

Within 2 months I got Orla & yet again he bonded brilliantly. It took a while for his old self to come back but I now have a very happy & content Rodge. :love: When I get my own place next year, Im seriously thinking about getting a 3rd bun, I really couldnt face either Rodge or Orla being alone after the experience I had.

Whatever decision you make, I know in my heart itll be the right one as you think the world of B&G. :love:

I can only say what I would personally do.

I'd wait until Ginger was on an "up" from her health issues, and then bond in another bunny.
I would prefer to have three so that, if the worst did happen earlier than it should, then you wouldn't have to feel that you HAD to go and get another bun right off for Biscuit. He would be comforted by the other friend and it would allow you to grieve.

It's a personal thing though, it depends if you feel that you could have a third bunny. It wouldn't go well if you half resented having to get it it because you knew it was there just incase of Ginger going downhill.

Hi Gray. All I can add it that I have been very fortunate with my 3 bonds with Sunshine. Each one was instant.

Good luck with your decision.

I think you also have to think about yourself. It will be very hard for you to coordinate. The bond will probably be best done over a long period of time, having separate enclosures near each other and then next to each other. And what would your OH think of this, taking up more space for a month or even a few months?

I think it can be done with minimal stress if you do it in a slow fashion, but make sure the rescue will take the bun back if it doesn't work. You'll have to be very clear on Ginger's health issues to be fair to them and to make sure the new bun is suitable.

I'm in a similar situation...ish. I have to separate Grim and Smoo multiple times a day so that Grimlock can have his extra food. He takes ages to eat, up to half an hour at a time, and this is becoming hard on Smoo who gets so jealous of him being inside and probably lonely as she's on her own. Grim has his health issues, but I think these are stable at the moment. However I have made my decision...

(I'll give you a hint, there might be an introduction thread tomorrow...)

Would a rescue take back a bun that wouldnt bond if it happened?

I know PACT do if it really will not bond with the others.

I think in your situation I would start having a look around and see whats buns are needing homes and if one REALLY tugs on your heart strings then maybe consider taking it home. I think in your situation I would do the same and consider a trio as it will make it easier on Biscuit when that sad times comes, and better to have a strong bond which has been formed already than a new weak one as I guess they can mourn and comfort each other.

It's a difficult situation but I think that's what I would do :(

I know it is different but I was worried about bonding Sue after Peggy died, given how poorly she is. It was a relatively easy bond though and, although I know the others will miss her when she does go to the Bridge, they will have each other for comfort.

When I had my group of six and Misty died the other five's grief was nothing like that of a bun left alone. It was the same when Pumpkin went to the Bridge and left a four and then Daisy died and left a three. Sue has now made it a four again:)

Seeing a single bun left alone after a beloved companion dies just tears me apart. I can only speak from my own experience but I would definitely say that having another bun to share the grief does help the buns left behind. I really like large groups of buns though and if I have a big enough garden when I move I intend to bond my four and two into a six:)

Good luck with whatever you decide, Gray. Any bun who comes to live with you will be a very lucky bun indeed.

It's difficult isn't it. I always wonder what I'm going to do when that time comes which is why ideally I'd like them in a four if at all possible.

Is it possible for you to take B&G off to a rescue and get them to choose a third mate?

This was kind of our dilemma, although we've definately decided to give the bond a try. Cadbury and Minstrel have a close bond since they are littermates, but like you, I have health concerns regarding Minstrel and I'm thinking about the long term also.

this is why I want a trio, I have a strange feeling about Mae that she wont be with me for very long, I dont know why I feel like that, I always have done. I wont be able to cope with getting a new bunny straight away to bond with Sebastian, honestly I wont even want to think about it, so if he has another friend atleast I have the comfort of knowing that there will always be a bunny to help the other one through it all

I asked the same question a while back after being upset on here that a member lost a (seemingly) healthy bun and was left with a single bun. It made me think of having a trio for when the inevitable happens. I think i remember you talking me out of it Graham! :lol: I cant remember the thread now - it was about existing bonds breaking but here's one thread about it:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=267183

But it's still in my head and i would love another one for that reason.

I wouldn't, even a easy bond can be stessful, and the dynamics in a trio especially with a sick bun can change a lot causing more stress, I'd leave things as they are then if/when one one is bereaved get them bonded asap...

Back