• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could it be the pellets?

Lola went onto pellets at the age of 1 year, slowly changed over from Wagg mix :)oops:)

Lola's first bout of statis was February 2010 she was very ill, wouldn't move, she was dehydrated, no pooping ect. After 4 weeks she was back to her normal self and back onto eating her hay and pellets.

Her second bout was June 2010 again she was very ill and wouldn't move, eat or drink, wouldn't poop she went straight to the vet again and we came home with critical care food.

Her third bout was September 2010 she wasn't too bad this time, I had caught the signs and kept her going, she was soon eating again.

September to the end of December she was on a pellet free diet, she hit 2.2kg in January and I discussed with the vet it would be best for her to be slowly put back on pellets.

Her fourth bout was this year January 2011 right on the bank holiday, she wasn't eating, refused to drink, she wouldn't wake up and I couldn't see her fighting, took her to the vet and arranged a dental just in case her back teeth were hurting her, she had very small spurs but no redness of her mouth.

After January I cut all pellets out of her diet and all of the other buns diets, poops became bigger and better colour, this is due to more hay intake.

Last week she got into a bag of pellets I had put in the bin, she hadn't had many but I didn't think anything of it over the next day or two her gut slowed down, her poops became smaller and she was very quiet.

All of these bouts of stasis seem :?: to come from the pellets.

Has anyone else had this problem with pellets and linked them to stasis?

Well i am having a time of it with my girl, and I am pretty certain that its a case of too many pellets, and moult.

they can cause their gut to slow down so I have heard hun.

I have also heard on here that water is the key, lots of fresh herbs maybe soaked in water.

I suppose the dry pellet food must be harder to digest

Some buns can't tolerate pellets, so yes, its a possibility.

You could try just cutting them out, but ensuring they have a good mixture of herbs/veg etc to counteract no pellets, or perhaps, just give 2-3 pellets per day instead.

I stopped feeding pellets after her dental, it just worried me when she got into the pellets and she had a gut slow down, Im always listening to her gut and checking her poops:oops:

I was feeding Excel pellets, I am totally happy with the buns being on a hay diet and they are happy too, Lola doesn't like veg she will only eat spinach and as its high in calcium she has it every 2-3 days just a couple of leaves at a time, I also offer little amounts of herbs but shes not overly keen on them:roll: She does enjoy different types of hay though she has 2/3 types every day :wave:

Yes, it can be pellets, definitely. Some bunnies are better on a mix, and some are better off with no dried food at all.

Back