• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We seem to have..............(degu thread)

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
We seem to have ...lots of Degu :? :? :?

and they are proving difficult to find homes for ..:(..which is such a shame as they are entertaining , friendly animals with such a lot to offer :)

muppet2cataract.jpg

fraggle2.jpg

Muppet and Fraggle ...

bertfurmissing.jpg

ernietailendmissing.jpg

Bert and Ernie..

mrmagoo.jpg

batfink.jpg

Mr Magoo and Batfink

Last edited:
I saw 2 in the pet shop on Saturday, at first I thought they were gerbils. They were so curious and they instantly reminded me of my chinchillas. Very alert and intelligent. I thought they were adorable. My OH won't let me have anymore pets as we have 5. One day.

Your Degus are adorable. Bigger than the ones I saw on Saturday. Maybe I saw babies.

I thought to take degus before I took rabbits, but what put me off was how much they chew and the kind of tank they need - it's heavy and expensive. Is a glass tank the only right accomodation for them?

I thought to take degus before I took rabbits, but what put me off was how much they chew and the kind of tank they need - it's heavy and expensive. Is a glass tank the only right accomodation for them?

No, you can house them in a large chinchilla cage or something like that. When I was looking into degu's before I got Oscar I was planning on getting an indoor aviary and converting it buy putting lots of wooden shelves, hammocks, ropes, etc in...

This website is really good for degu information :wave:

ETA: Definitely no plastic in the cage though, and not just metal grid shelves either because it can hurt their little feet...

you can house then in specialy made degu cages .. they are made entirely out of metal and have different levels/shelves in them ..the levels are usualy made out of wood :)

We have loads at PACT too, I never realised how amusing they are and how sweet and fun until I worked there... I would have some but unfortunately OH is terrified of anything with a tail :roll: (that includes dogs and cats!!)

Back