• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free range with in a fenced area - piccies added

Hi all, I have a large garden and would love my buns to free range but too tricky to make our garden bunny proof and don't want to lose them. So need some advice, I want to fence off an area so they can ' free range' supervised of course. They have an attached run but when I'm out I'd like them to roam out safe. So my idea is to some how use some kind of linkable fencing that I can take down and store when I'm not using it....hope this makes sense. Just don't know if there are any kind of linkable wire panels out there I could buy...any one done this and any piccies please? :D

Last edited:
Hi all, I have a large garden and would love my buns to free range but too tricky to make our garden bunny proof and don't want to lose them. So need some advice, I want to fence off an area so they can ' free range' supervised of course. They have an attached run but when I'm out I'd like them to roam out safe. So my idea is to some how use some kind of linkable fencing that I can take down and store when I'm not using it....hope this makes sense. Just don't know if there are any kind of linkable wire panels out there I could buy...any one done this and any piccies please? :D

Could you use aviary panels on their sides?

Great thanks, thought about avery panels but a bit too bulky. The metal pens is exactly the sortof thing I'm after...thanks and that's a great price. I knew you fab people would come up with something x

:wave: I've got one of those and don't consider it as free ranging... you'd need to assemble at least 3 lots to make it anywhere near free ranging size, plus it's uncovered. Bavarian Bunny has joined some square panels together with a lid which gives you a really decent run. I'll see if I can find the pics.

Yeah I would only put them in it if I was there to supervise. The rest of they time they have unsupervised time in their run which attaches to the shed.:)

Me too, only to be under supervision. Run attached to hutch has roof and I have made it totally bun and fox proof, just want them to be able to get more of a free range experience under supervision.

Me too, only to be under supervision. Run attached to hutch has roof and I have made it totally bun and fox proof, just want them to be able to get more of a free range experience under supervision.

That's exactly my thoughts too. I will see how big the runs are when they arrive and if they don't give a big enough area I will buy some more. At £26 they are quite good value seeing as the same sort of thing in Just for Pets is £50!:)

That's exactly my thoughts too. I will see how big the runs are when they arrive and if they don't give a big enough area I will buy some more. At £26 they are quite good value seeing as the same sort of thing in Just for Pets is £50!:)
:wave: don't forget the £9 P&P bumps the price up somewhat - not sure what it is if you buy 2 or more items (you'd need at least 2 to make a decent size run - I have one which I rarely use).

so £37 + £37 = £74 (gosh I'm good at maths :lol:) and here's the oblong one with the metal cover for free P&P. Personally I thing 2 of these @ £138 is a better, safer option. Just my opinion though based on having the one you have and seeing how a friend has adopted this one :)

http://4petz.co.uk/store/product/8203-1912-w1/

:wave: don't forget the £9 P&P bumps the price up somewhat - not sure what it is if you buy 2 or more items (you'd need at least 2 to make a decent size run - I have one which I rarely use).

so £37 + £37 = £74 (gosh I'm good at maths :lol:) and here's the oblong one with the metal cover for free P&P. Personally I thing 2 of these @ £138 is a better, safer option. Just my opinion though based on having the one you have and seeing how a friend has adopted this one :)

http://4petz.co.uk/store/product/8203-1912-w1/

Yeah I see your point. Thing is I have had one of those with the roof before and they are quite heavy to move around and I found it really difficult to get at the buns to actually catch them to get them out of it. Also we need something that can easily fold away. That's another reason why I am opting for the other runs to join together. Thanks for advice though! :D

If I need a semi permanent run for any reason I use a roll of chicken wire usually about 3 to 4 feet high.

I hold it upright by threading posts in (such a garden canes) and then hammering them into the ground about every 2 - 3 feet apart. Then I hammer tent pegs along the bottom on the wire to ensure the bottom is secure.

This gives the advantage of giving you the size and shape you want, can be easily moved again, is cheap, is lightweight, easy to store and as long as bunnies are supervised provides extra room for them. :D

DSC03037480x360.jpg

This shows Scooter enjoying the grass but away from the chickens - you can just make out the chicken wire.

Last edited:
Ok, so..., I have been on zooplus.co.uk ordered 2 of the 8 panel metal pens (for now) to put together, couple of tunnels and a bridge. Dead chuffed as it all came to 80 quid as got a saleand as a new customer I got an extra 10% off...can't wait for it all to come. Just got to be nice to hubby now as he'll roll his eyes again!

Last edited:
I got mine two to put together today. Buns went out in it this afternoon, they loved it. They could get up some real speed and binkied all afternoon!

Back