• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My deaf bunny can hear for the first time...

bunnylover177

Alpha Buck
... and it is causing him problems. He's panicing at the slightest thing - he almost bounced off a wall this morning when I went into their room to feed them. Poor Troy - I mean it is great that my vet has got rid of one of his two ear abscesses by doing an ear canal resection which means that his ear canal is open and not full of gunk but the result has been rather dramatic for Troy! His companion has had the same operation but the only result with Ziggy was that he got even more confident. Maybe his hearing was not so badly affected. My vet is off at a vet conference showing off about the op which is rather unusual and really has solved the abscess problem completely. I guess I need to put Troy in a smaller more enclosed space until he gets used to sound and figures out which sounds to worry about!

Are these two of the cashies? :love:

Poor boys. I never realised the extent of the problems the "breeder" bred into these poor innocent bunnies :(

Wow Jill I'm thrilled to hear that the operations have been so successful, even if it has resulted in a rather dramatic unintended consequence! I really hope that all will settle down soon and that Troy will soon learn that noises are normal and even add some extra interest to life. Just wait till he discovers he can hear the fenugreek crunchie jar being opened!

i think keep him somewhere quiet with his companion and gradually introduce him to noises, make sure you talk quietly to him upon approach and do things subtly until he gets used to it all poor thing it must be very different and scary suddenly hearing noises if you have never before. x

Are these two of the cashies? :love:

Poor boys. I never realised the extent of the problems the "breeder" bred into these poor innocent bunnies :(

Yes - they are our two white house bunnies. The other two cashie's have no problems (touch wood and everything else!) Troy still has one more big abscess to do - the vet has drained it a few times but it comes back really quickly so we have needed the bigger surgery. I hate having to put them through it but it is really interesting to see how much it is changing their behaviour - they must ahve been really uncomfortable and deaf!

Back