• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dylan off to the vet today

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
I've decided it is probably time to start Dylan on metacam. He is a Very Old Bunny and when he had his myxi jab the vet said he thought he had arthritis (Dylan, not the vet:)). At the time Dylan was pretty active, jumping in and out of his hutch and using the ramp to the upper level happily, but he no longer does this and he has also started picking at his food so I think he may be uncomfy.

Have a vet appointment at 4.00 pm to check that there is nothing else wrong and will then start Dylan on some pain relief. I have moved him to a single storey hutch which should make life a bit easier for him. There is a step for him to use to get out of the hutch but I may ask a friend to make him a ramp. I have noticed his back legs have urine stains too so I think he is having trouble cleaning himself and will need to be vigilant against flystrike.

He looks dreadful at the moment as he is moulting unevenly.

Any spare vibes for Dylan would be appreciated please. He is a gorgeous old bun. Don't know how old but I've had him for many years and he wasn't a baby when I adopted him. He went completely grey about three years ago - and now looks very distinguished:)

Just hope that it is only the arthritis.

Thank you everyone.

Dylan was so scared, poor love. He was shaking dreadfully and showing part of the white of his eyes. I got the vet to check his teeth which are fine and he agrees with me that the lack of appetite is probably due to his arthritis. I have an enormous bottle of metacam and will start giving Dylan a dose daily. Hopefully, he will soon feel more comfy.

Will see how his bottom goes but if he still can't clean himself I will buy some rearguard as it is that scary time of year now:( Today was the first time he hadn't cleaned his poos - it is usually just urine.

Need to sort out a ramp now so Dylan can get out of the hutch easily. I know with my own arthritis (of the neck, shoulders and knees) I was told to use the joints affected and not to rest them. Is it the same for bunnies? Maybe I should just leave the hutch with the step as it really is only a little jump up? Sue is still managing to jump into the hutch without using the step.

Dylan really does look very old now:( Just hope he gets to experience another summer when I can put him on the lawn in the sun.

Back