• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holland lop, dwarf lop or mini lop

BlueStar

Young Bun
Don't know which to get lol, i love all lops and im 11 and they are going to be my first proper bunny rabbit.

I believe Holland lops aren't in the UK- thats the US name for either Mini lop or Dwarf lop, I can't remember which. so really its a choice between mini and dwarf. I don't think theres a huge difference between them.

I've had holland and mini and as far as I can tell theres just a weight difference. One is smaller- around 3-3.5 lbs (that would be holland for me) and the other is around 5lbs (mini for me).

You should be getting two buns though, so maybe you can get both? I'm sure rescues would have both, even already bonded ones, lops are extremely popular.

I believe Holland lops aren't in the UK- thats the US name for either Mini lop or Dwarf lop, I can't remember which. so really its a choice between mini and dwarf. I don't think theres a huge difference between them.

I've had holland and mini and as far as I can tell theres just a weight difference. One is smaller- around 3-3.5 lbs (that would be holland for me) and the other is around 5lbs (mini for me).

You should be getting two buns though, so maybe you can get both? I'm sure rescues would have both, even already bonded ones, lops are extremely popular.

Dwarf lops :wave:

I believe Holland lops aren't in the UK- thats the US name for either Mini lop or Dwarf lop, I can't remember which.

Mini lop. :)

Holland lop (US) = mini lop (UK)
Mini lop (US) = dwarf lop (UK)

All very confusing. :lol::lol:

Have you considered going to a rescue? Bunnies should ideally be kept in pairs (or more) and rescues will have pairs already bonded, vaccinated and neutered for you. :thumb: They will also have a very good idea of temperament, which is much more important than looks alone. :D

Have you considered going to a rescue? Bunnies should ideally be kept in pairs (or more) and rescues will have pairs already bonded, vaccinated and neutered for you. :thumb: They will also have a very good idea of temperament, which is much more important than looks alone. :D

:thumb:

I agree with going to a rescue and choosing bunnies that are friendly so you can hold them and interact with them and enjoy them :)

Now Im confussed :lol:

Its best to go to a rescue and pick personality over looks/breed.

Rabbits cost a lot and are a very big commitment so think before you get rabbits.

They need to be neutered.
They need to be vaccinated 3 times a year.
They need regular health checks.
They need a friend, most rescues have bonded buns looking for homes.
They need a good diet of 90% hay and the rest veg and pellets.
They need a big hutch/indoor cage and a bunny proof set up (no wires)
Rabbits are amazing at hiding illness so you always have to be on the ball and watch for the slightest of change.

Good Luck on owning rabbits:wave:

Absolutely go to a rescue and pick a pair whose personality and temperament suit you and your lifestyle :D

how many of u rescued a pair?

I didn't get a pair as there was none at the time but I got Charlie then Delilah and bonded them both together. Lola was my first rabbit and shes going to be bonded this summer with my other rabbit Dougal. Its much easier if you get a pair though all of the stressful bits are taken away:wave:

i know a place where they have some bunnies for rescue

how many babies do bunnies have just out of intrest.
someone said they still try to mate if nutered

Last edited:
i know a place where they have some bunnies for rescue

how many babies do bunnies have just out of intrest.
someone said they still try to mate if nutered

bunnies can have loads of babies, you would soon be over run!

They do hump when neutered, but it is a sign of dominance rather than trying to make babies :wave:

could i let them have one litter and then nuter them is tht ok. thanks all 4 ur help.

Its best not too, there is a huge amount (thousands and thousands) of rabbits in rescue, why add to the number?

If you were to breed them you couldnt just use any rabbit, you would need to go to a reliable breeder, someone who knows the history of the rabbits, any health problems ect. I imagen you would also need to get permission from the breeder.

If you go to a rescue the bunnies will already be neutered and vaccinated, that will save you lots of money (over £100 just for the neutering!)

could i let them have one litter and then nuter them is tht ok. thanks all 4 ur help.

We don't encourage breeding on here, lots of things can go wrong in pregnancy, would you be willing for your doe to die? At your age your not going to have experience or knowledge to breed and rehome them to the right people. Rabbits are not easy pets and should not be used to be bred, there are 33,000 rabbits in rescue shelters, there is no need to add more rabbits into the world.

It isn't a good idea, there are a lot of problems that could happen when a rabbit gives birth itself putting both the mother and babies at risk.

You're much better off buying a pair from a rescue that are already neutered and saving the cost of getting them done yourself. There are lots of rabbits on the Rabbits in Need section here looking for homes, do you like the look/sound of any of them?

Back