• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Daisy's not well (stasis) Update Post 25: Improvement this morning

Tracy

Warren Veteran
Daisy wasn't her normal self yesterday. She was very 'quiet' and reluctant to eat. She's been like this a couple of times over the last two months, but after 2 doses of infacol she has started eating and has been fine and back to her normal self within about 4 hours.

Yesterday was different though, the infacol didn't seem to have any real effect. She started to nibble a little during the afternoon and I continued to monitor her through the evening, but at about midnight she took a big turn for the worse and started tooth grinding. We ended up at the emergency clinic at 1.00am this morning. :(

Last night she was given pain relief (metacam and vetergesic) and metaclopramide. The vet also gave her a Baytril injection, just in case there was an infection present. The vet said that she didn't think there was a blockage and told us to feed her small amounts of critical care, which we have done.

There was no real change this morning, she is still very quiet and not wanting to eat, but I've not heard any tooth grinding. I did get her to eat two dandelion leaves, but I think she only ate them because I had made her so cross by keep holding them up to her mouth to tempt her. :oops:

I took her to my own vet first thing this morning and they have kept her in for further investigation and tests. Her guts are still making no sound and my vet said Daisy is feeling gassy and slightly bloated. :(

Worryingly, she has lost a substantial amount of weight in just a couple of months, despite eating her normal quantities of food, so I am very worried that there might be a sinister underlying cause of these bouts of tummy troubles. :(

Daisy is now on a drip and will be given pain relief and gut stimulating medication. She will have xrays and blood tests later today to try and find out what is wrong with her. Her two sisters Poppy and Pansy are with her.

Any spare vibes you could send my beautiful little girl will be very much appreciated. I am so very worried. :cry:

Last edited:
Sending lots of vibes for Daisy x

The fact that she's eating something is a good sign, even if you do have to annoy her before she takes it.

Has she had her teeth checked?

Sending lots of vibes for Daisy x

The fact that she's eating something is a good sign, even if you do have to annoy her before she takes it.

Has she had her teeth checked?

The vet at the emergency clinic and my own vet this morning checked her teeth and both said they look fine and there were no signs of ulceration or damage to the tongue/cheeks. Although I know from the problems I have with Herbie's teeth that it's difficult to say for definite without a proper examination under GA.

I watched her chewing the dandelion leaves this morning and her jaw action looked perfectly normal and she didn't look to be in any discomfort in her mouth.

I've had an update from the vet. Daisy is doing a little better. She's now quite lively and has been eating some recovery food herself from a dish.

Her blood tests didn't reveal anything too bad. The salt levels were high because she was dehydrated and there was another substance, I think it was globulin :? which was slightly high and could indicate that there is an infection present in her system, although it doesn't indicate what or where the infection might be.

She has had xrays too. They did these while she was conscious as in her present condition they didn't want to sedate her. The xrays didn't show any blockages, her kidneys and bladder are clear of stones etc, and everything inside looks to be OK.

She will be staying in overnight so that they can continue to monitor her. For the time being she is still on a drip to keep her hydrated and to trickle the gut stimulant into her system. My vet said that she has heard some very faint sounds coming from her tummy, so fingers crossed that things are starting to move again.

Poppy and Pansy are staying with her to keep her company. They are all being kept together, but Daisy is separated from the other two so that they can monitor her poos and eating etc.

She's still quite a poorly girl, but at least we have some improvement. If she continues to improve then hopefully she will be able to come home tomorrow. :)

She is being very spoilt, all the nurses have fallen in love with her. :love:

Poor Daisy, glad to hear she is getting the five star treatment and good medical attention, your vets sound like they are doing everything possible. I hope she feels better soon x

Get well soon Daisy.

Sounds like she's improving, albeit slowly, which in itself is a godo sign :)

Sounds like you have a great vet :)

Thanks everyone :wave:

Daisy is now home. :D She is eating on her own again and passing lots of poos. :D She's being picky with her food and at the moment won't eat pellets, so her appetite isn't completely back to normal, but she's getting there.

The weight has really dropped off her. :( She doesn't feel boney, but she looks very small and slim. I'm going to have to work on building her up again.

I've no idea why Daisy became so poorly. The blood tests and xrays haven't revealed anything that could have caused it. Nothing in their diet has changed recently and all three of them are really good hay eaters. She was eating and behaving perfectly fine until she refused her breakfast on Sunday morning. She did nibble a little during Sunday and I thought she was improving, but it was the speed with which she suddenly took a turn for the worse late on Sunday night which was really scarey.

She is on zantac for the next 5 days and I've got to continue with metacam for a couple more days just in case she still has any pain.

Daisy is looking well now and she's quite lively too. She gave herself a thorough groom as soon as she got home. I'm so glad my gorgeous trio are home again. :love:

Glad she's feeling much better Tracy.

When you feel up to it please let me know your paypal addy so I can forward you the money for the blankets, no rush as I know you have your hands full with Daisy.

Glad she's feeling much better Tracy.

When you feel up to it please let me know your paypal addy so I can forward you the money for the blankets, no rush as I know you have your hands full with Daisy.

Thanks Amy.

I don't take any payment until they are done, so don't worry about it for now. Will send you a pic when they are ready and we can sort out the payment then. :)

Unfortunately Daisy started to deteriorate again early this evening. I phoned the vets and they said to bring her straight back in.

Her guts are making the right noises, so it is all working but probably still a bit sluggish. She was given metaclopramide and vetergesic injections again and also subcutaneous fluids.

We've come home with metaclop and vetergesic so that we can continue the treatment at home as it will be less stressful for her. She's also on zantac and metacam. We'll syringe feed her later too, just to be sure she's got enough food going in.

As soon as she got home she ate a slice of carrot, a small piece of apple and two dandelion leaves, so fingers crossed the medication will continue working and she will improve throughout the night.

I feel worn out through lack of sleep and worry. :(

Back