• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poopy question.....

honey61

Mama Doe
Teddi is producing an odd combination of poops ..... Large perfect golden poops interspersed with tiny black individual 'chips' which are sometimes hard & other times softer (not grape bunches) :?

No recent change in diet to account for this .... fresh veggies & minimal Excel pellets... (which he's not overly keen on as he preferred Russell rabbit which was what he was on when he first came home.)

He is constantly hungry, asking for food & also a good hay eater.

I'm flummoxed .... any ideas please?

Excel pellets are known to cause poop issues somtimes.

DO you have any Science Selective pellets?

The black 'chips' you talk of sound like individual parts from a caeco?

Excel pellets are known to cause poop issues somtimes.

DO you have any Science Selective pellets?

The black 'chips' you talk of sound like individual parts from a caeco?

I did wonder that.... but they are passed literally minutes sometimes after golden ones.... & look very dried out, although not rock hard.... most bizzare

Have tried SS.... he refuses to eat them... perhaps because of his head tilt he finds them difficult to eat, even though I break them up smaller :?

I know RR isn't the best choice.... but perhaps it suited him better ... not sure whether to put him back on that & see if the chips disappear again :?

I use a mix of Allen and Page and Wagg Bunny Brunch pellets for mine, which they all seem to enjoy and hasn't caused any tummy issues yet.

Badger gets that when he is hovering on cecal dysbiosis but not quite there yet. We've sorted them out with Pro Fibre pro biotic pellets alongside SS.

Thank you peeps :D

Think I'll try him back on the RR with Pro Fibre & see if that helps things improve.
Bless him, he's got enough issues without adding upset tum to the list.

Thanks again :D