• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spenser off fenugreek crunchies!

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
I expect this is a protest against my attempt to pick him up last night. :roll::( I was only doing as his vet advised, but perhaps it is just too soon after his neuter. I gave him one after I had fussed and petted him (he did accept this), and when he didn't take it put it in the hutch with him - but it's still there this morning. It will be interesting to see if he'll accept one from somebody else.

I disagree with your vet personally. I'd LOVE for your vet to try and handle Biccy :p And Spenser is 1.5-2x Biscuit's size... :shock:

Just keep calm and leave him, each item he rejects, just leave it there. I'm sure it'd be gone within the next time frame you go outside.

Not all buns will eat all day long :wave:

I expect this is a protest against my attempt to pick him up last night. :roll::( I was only doing as his vet advised, but perhaps it is just too soon after his neuter. I gave him one after I had fussed and petted him (he did accept this), and when he didn't take it put it in the hutch with him - but it's still there this morning. It will be interesting to see if he'll accept one from somebody else.

Buns don't think like that Susie, they're not that complex & don't have the ability to analyse like we do ;):lol:

Despite what I said re handling, (persevering with it) etc.... having slept on it (been thinking about him again) I think you should leave him be for a couple of weeks but concentrate on lots of fuss/nose rubs & giving him plenty of company & time out. Yes it's important for you to be able to pick him up from time to time but I think that provided you can check he's fit & well without doing this then it's best to minimise this. Some behaviour in some buns can be changed but it's not a hard and fast rule and not all respond in the same way. They are as different as us in that respect.

As Graham says, not all vets are right all of the time and it's only an opinion based on what he/she THINKS and not necessarily based on facts. Another vet could well say the total opposite which is why I think you have to take a balanced view and do whats right for you and Spenser :wave:

:love::love: :thumb:

My vet actually recommends AGAINST picking Biccy up, as it stresses him out so much, so we only do it VERY rarely.

I'm happy with him being bunny and NOT wanting cuddles :)

Buns don't think like that Susie, they're not that
complex & don't have the ability to analyse like we do ;):lol:

Despite what I said re handling, (persevering with it) etc.... having slept on it (been thinking about him again) I think you should leave him be for a couple of weeks but concentrate on lots of fuss/nose rubs & giving him plenty of company & time out. Yes it's important for you to be able to pick him up from time to time but I think that provided you can check he's fit & well without doing this then it's best to minimise this. Some behaviour in some buns can be changed but it's not a hard and fast rule and not all respond in the same way. They are as different as us in that respect.

As Graham says, not all vets are right all of the time and it's only an opinion based on what he/she THINKS and not based necessarily based on facts. Another vet could well say the total opposite which is why I think you have to take a balanced view and do whats right for you and Spenser :wave:

:love::love: :thumb:

My vet actually recommends AGAINST picking Biccy up, as it stresses him out so much, so we only do it VERY rarely.

I'm happy with him being bunny and NOT wanting cuddles :)

This is what I mean. You have to find a balance which works for you and you have done that with Biccy :D:wave:

agrees :wave: every time I go near Harvey or Castiel they climb up my legs begging to be picked up. Ruby is fine to be stroked but if I so much as close my hands around her as if I was going to pick her up she starts scrambling madly and lashing out.

Every bun is different and I think constantly stressing them out by picking them up unnecessarily might have a detrimental effect on being able to pick them up when you need to.

You know Spenser inside out, listen to your gut instinct and don't be afraid to disagree with vets ;) I've disagreed with a fair few now :lol: and I'm lucky now I have a vet who if I say something is wrong will listen, even if he thinks everything is fine.

Thanks for replies. I don't let Spenser see I am upset, but I am!

I will concentrate on fuss and company for a while then. Spenser is genuinely difficult to handle - the vet who did his op was unable to show me how to check his wound when I went to collect him. Spenser's regular vet alwys manges though, and one of the vet nurses can also manage him.

It's pouring down with rain here, but I can bring him in and put him in the crate. He likes it there (judging from the level of activity and flops), and I can let him out more often as well as fuss him without us both getting soaked.

Thanks for replies. I don't let Spenser see I am upset, but I am!

I will concentrate on fuss and company for a while then. Spenser is genuinely difficult to handle - the vet who did his op was unable to show me how to check his wound when I went to collect him. Spenser's regular vet alwys manges though, and one of the vet nurses can also manage him.

It's pouring down with rain here, but I can bring him in and put him in the crate. He likes it there (judging from the level of activity and flops), and I can let him out more often as well as fuss him without us both getting soaked.

I suspect this is purely experience & confidence :) You also need very strong hands! Bouncer wriggles when he's had enough and it takes all of my strength to stop him from getting free before it's time (i.e. 4ft in the air :shock:) . Luckily I'm a buxom lass who is used to holding onto bigger beasts (I'm talking horses not my OH :lol: ) . I know how petit you are and so this must be far more difficult for you!

Enjoy some one to one time with him indoors :D:wave::love:

My vet also told me off, about Bobby not wanting to be picked up, but you can medicate her just fine at home, at the vets she is a monster

meh! if only all buns were cuddle buns it would make my life waaayyy easier:lol: i spend a lot of time on the floor with mine and i feel i have a really good relationship with them. i do that with little children though, kneel down to their level as big humans/adults must seem really scary:shock:

seems spenser likes the company but doesn't want his space too crowded - unless its on HIS terms:)

meh! if only all buns were cuddle buns it would make my life waaayyy easier:lol: i spend a lot of time on the floor with mine and i feel i have a really good relationship with them. i do that with little children though, kneel down to their level as big humans/adults must seem really scary:shock:

seems spenser likes the company but doesn't want his space too crowded - unless its on HIS terms:)

I think you're right. I also think this is very common in buns .... & who can blame them?!! :lol:

He's in the crate now, had a long fuss (head flat on the ground, bum in the air - like a giant mouse!:lol:). Refused a crunchie and various other treats, but has just done a happy flop. :D:love:

he sounds fine - happy as he is. i think you just have to accept that he ain't ever going to be a cuddle bun whilst his paws are off the ground.

soon you'll end up with really dodgy and painful knees like me:lol:

as for bum checking, i really do have a look from ground level whilst they're hopping about - that icky sticky stuff really is obvious on usually clean white fur.

I only handle Bramble when I really have to, he rreally doesn't like it. I guess if he'd been picked up a lot when he was a baby he wouldn't mind it now. I still get lots of nose rubs, strokes....and sometimes he will even hop up onto my lap for treats which is lovely :love: However this has taken almost three years!

Bramble fainted when I told him Spenser didn't like fenugreek crunchies anymore! :lol:

Spenser has had a VERY busy morning. :shock: Normally he would be sat fur-puddled in his hutch, but he has fairly given my bedroom a good nosy, and totally rearranged his crate so that threre is barely room for him to move. :roll: He has also done at least 4 happly flops.:D He's eaten a few strands of hay, but ignored both pellets and fenugreek crunchies. Maybe if I offer to give his noms away he might show an interest. ;)

Glad to hear Spenser has had a happy, busy morning :D :love: Hopefully he'll be interested in his crunchies and pellets soon though! Tell him I have two buns here who will be more than happy to eat them so he better eat them quick! ;)

I will pass on Liz 47's message - anything is worth a try! :roll:

Spenser is full of bounce in between sessions of impersonating a large white cushion on the couch, but he has refused his tea, although he did eat some dried apple leaves this afternoon. This afternoon I bought romaine lettuce, which he will not eat, and dill. I can't find the dill now, so it must have fallen out the bag. One good thing is that Spenser is not looking or behaving like an unwell rabbit, and when he lies flopped there is a distinct curve to his tummy. I've still got some metacam left, so might try him with a dose in case he is in pain somewhere and this is causing him not to eat.

I really think this will be to do with his tooth issues, Susie. I know your own vet says there is nothing wrong BUT the Xrays showed there was and the fact that Spenser is not eating properly is a sure sign that there is something going on.

I thought Tinkerbell was just "off" her pellets and it turned out to be the beginning of problems. Can you get the vet that did the Xrays to speak with your usual vet?

I really think this will be to do with his tooth issues, Susie. I know your own vet says there is nothing wrong BUT the Xrays showed there was and the fact that Spenser is not eating properly is a sure sign that there is something going on.

I thought Tinkerbell was just "off" her pellets and it turned out to be the beginning of problems. Can you get the vet that did the Xrays to speak with your usual vet?

I assumed she would have done so. :? Surely the notes from the appointment we had on the night of the day he had his op will be on his notes. It was a consultation appointment, not just a pick-up. The vet who gave the original report on the x-rays can't be that rabbit savvy because she told me to cut his pellets and get him to eat lots of kale, spinach and broccoli, all of which are too high in calcium for regular feeding.

I agree but didn't like to say :oops:

Back