• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Housing options

Has anyone got one of the hen / rabbit coop / runs that appear to be very popular on ebay at the mo?

We possibly have room to rescue two (more) outdoor bunnies and I'm looking at various housing options. They would have free running around an enclosed space big enough for about 3 cars when we are about, but obviously need to be safe at night. I've looked at shed / wendy house idea but would want them to have outdoor access and these runs look like they might do? The photography is deceptive and they look bigger than they actually are, ive been measuring out the space on the ground and looking at how they could be extended or adapted for bunnies, i.e. remove the divider in the nest box area.

comments / ideas / experiences welcome:):)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CHICKEN-COUP-HEN-COOP-POULTRY-ARK-LARGE-FL1-/200463500123?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item2eac8e435b

Run is too small (6ft x 3ft) , hutch is too small. Very insecure due to the way the nesting box is fixed and the lid lifts up. I know someone with one and it's hell to clean too.

I think the issue with them is that there isnt a big sheltered area, the 'house' isnt very large on those coops, not compared to a 6x2 hutch, so if it bad weather and bunnies want to stay dry, they cant get exercise whilst doing it.

I imagine there are some out there though that have a 12sqft indoor bit which would be fine, its just a case of finding them :)

I've just cleaned my shed out and had an aviary 7 foot x 3 foot added onto shed I put a catflap on so the buns can go in and out as they please, this works really well, if you can get a shed or wendy house I think this is the best option spacewise :wave:

Some are suitable, we had one which had a 4x3 indoor space which is equivalent to a 6x2 hutch, it's just a matter of finding them.

You could always adapt one to make it more weatherproof by adding plywood to the back and sides.

I have a shed with a hole cut out attached to a run. That's a good way of giving them plenty of space indoors and outdoors all the time.

I have one of the the rabbit ones and I like them :wave: - tho I have attatched a wendy house to it now ...

How it was
019.jpg

How it is now
098.jpg

099.jpg

100.jpg

Back