• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vaccines

Vaccines

• Myxi

Votes: 37 80.4%
  • VHD

Votes: 9 19.6%

• Total voters

unalakey

Mama Doe
If you could only afford one vaccine for your bunnies, which do you think would be the most important? Myxi or VHD? Please note this is not about me, all my buns have both vaccines:D

If I didn't have any buns but wanted some I wouldn't get any if I could only afford the one vaccine, I couldn't live with myself knowing they're at risk when I could do something about it. If I already had buns and couldn't rehome them to a good home then I'd vaccinate against myxi because it's common round here and I'd never heard of any VHD deaths round here, although with VHD it's hard to tell.

If I could only afford one, I'd save up ;) I would never forgive with myself if they died from either of the horrible illnesses :shock::(

Because in a multi Rabbit situation a there is a chance of disease control with Myxi. Symptoms present and effected Rabbits can be removed from colony (and PTS :cry:),

With VHD there is unlikely to be a chance to remove effected Rabbits as the first 'symptom' is usually death and the virus will probably wipe out a colony in 2-7 days :cry:

ETA- ALL MY RABBITS ARE VACCINATED FOR BOTH MYXI AND VHD

For me it would be because VHD is catching between bunnies whereas myxi is predominantly transmitted by flies and fleas and rabbit to rabbit contact is less of a issue (as is me as a carrier).

But that all said, I too agree I wouldn't have bunnies if I couldn't afford the vaccines, but that wasn't the question. :lol:

Like i said, all my four buns are vaccinated (Hari having his Myxi on Thursday:D). Someone i know is getting a rabbit for Easter:roll: She said she's not bothered about vaccines:shock: but im trying to persuade her to have at least one:? Will push for the other afterwards;)

Like i said, all my four buns are vaccinated (Hari having his Myxi on Thursday:D). Someone i know is getting a rabbit for Easter:roll: She said she's not bothered about vaccines:shock: but im trying to persuade her to have at least one:? Will push for the other afterwards;)

Do you want me to write some of the important points down from these leaflets my vet gave me about the importance of vaccines then you could tell/show her it?

Thanks Jacks Jane and Sky-o. That makes sense. really scarey though:shock:
All mine have always been vaccinated against both too and am very glad now!

VHD because you can cure myxi, if caught early :wave:

No you can't - an unvaccinated rabbit that catches myxo will die, no question (but it would be a horrible death so it would need to be PTS) Even a vaccinated rabbit can catch myxo and may (but only may) survive.

VHD because you can cure myxi, if caught early :wave:

As far as I know, you can not cure myxi with an unvacs bun. I think on here just one has survived unvacs and even then I am not sure.

When I was little a rabbit of mine died from myxi, caught early, why risk it?

No one knows how common or not VHD is as the rabbit dies too quickly to show many if any symptoms. A wild rabbit takes a long time to die from myxi, hence everyone seeing them.

Myxi, as my 2 are indoor buns and I don't like the reaction VHD gives my buns. Especially Pie. Her last one made her so ill it put her into stasis.

if i couldn;t afford id stop myself from having something not essentail to make me able to afford the vaccinations

but hey are vaccinated for both anyway, it annoys me how my cousin goes on about animal welfare, but doesn't even bother to vaccinate her rabbits, both does in small hutch thats falling to pieces and are not speyed either and left to the eliments :cry:, then when it comes to taking her pets to vets she says she can;t afford it, why she keeps getting more i don;t know, then tries giving them away, like her cat and budgies :cry: yet she can afford to go out and get drunk

Back