• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Daisy's new friend didn't work out :-(

Laura10101

Warren Scout
Hi,

About a month ago we bonded Daisy with another rabbit at a rescue. They seemed to be getting on great until last week when they started fighting. We hadn't changed anything about there normal routine, and can't think of any reason why they started fighting. We think it was Cinnabon that was starting the fights. We ended up taking him back to the rescue as we don;t have any space for him since Daisy is a free range house bunny :( I'm gutted about it but Daisy doesnt seem too bothered.

Now i don't know what to do. I don't want her to be lonely but i can't bear to see her fight with another bunny, and i couldnt bear to take another bunny back. Do you think she will remember fighting with Cinnabon? Or would she love a new friend? She wasnt very affectionate towards Cinnabon while he was here.

Laura

Im sorry i cant give you any advice im not very clued up on bonding.
All i will say is that rabbit relationships are hard to get you head round!!!
bonding seems to me extreamely hard and theres no saying any bond will work/last. its a tough one. you tried, thats the main thing.
could you maybe take your bun to the rescue to choose her own partner? i've heard it be done on here before or get the rescue to bond for you?

It was the rescue that bonded her for us. Cinnabon was the first rabbit we tried, and they seemed to get on well so we didnt try any other buns! Now i'm really wary of trying any other buns with her. I hate to upset my Daisy princess!

Speaking from personal experience I would leave it a while and then have another go.

We had a particularly traumatic event when bonding Todd and I was devastated when we had to return the bunny to the rescue. We couldn't even try a 'long bond' with her as Todd refused to eat, he was so scared (even though she was in another hutch and couldn't get anywhere near him)

After his wounds had healed and he was back to his old self, we tried again and now he is blissfully in love with Tilly :love:

Apart from an initial bit of humping, they've never had a cross word - keeps everything crossed that I haven't jinxed it :roll:

Back