• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Moving rabbits from hutch to run without stress?

zayna1

Warren Scout
My two rabbits really hate being picked up, so it's really hard for me to move them to their run. Their run is separate to their shed, so I have to put them into a carrier and move them that way. They get so stressed, the male thumps, and that gets the female rilled up...but when they're in the run, they love the grass and everything. However, they get really scared of me when I put them in- i think they think im going to put them in the carrier again. I literally have to follow them around with the box, or end up holding them by the scruff (and supporting their bums) and putting them into the box, or else they'll rip my arm off (have the scars to show) :shock: So i'm not sure what to do. Moving the run is not an option, or they won't have enough sunlight-or grass...

How far away is it? Would this be an option http://www.runaround.co.uk/runaround/Products.html?

Here's some pics of my set up at various stages to give you an idea:
P1020838.jpg

IMG00030-20110206-1305.jpg

:)

ooh that looks brilliant... thanks :) but theres no way my parents would allow that :(

that's a shame :( maybe bribe them - would they rather a bit of hose across their garden and some happy rabbits - or their stressed out child with scratches and blood all over their arms!

Could you not pop a bit of food in the carrier? Mine hop in quite happily if there's a nice juicy bit of spring greens poking through the bars. I also have a bun that doesn't like being picked up x

well we needed to put our buns into their hutch (which admittedly is in their own run/aviary) at night, it was like a chase-athon, them darting everywhere!!

Then we found (accidentally) by putting their litter tray (which they use as their bed) on the ground, they all jumped in and started to munch their hay, so we just lift the litter tray upto the hutch floor and job done with no frayed nerves.:D

Depends on how far you have to go with them though i suppose!

ooh that looks brilliant... thanks :) but theres no way my parents would allow that :(

:( Hopefully someone will come along with a good idea for moving them in a better way then...

Have you tried sitting in their run with them when they're in there? I found my boys learned to trust me better like that. Mac still doesn't like being picked up, but I can get him to come and see me to check him over now by sitting in there and being patient. Its not a quick fix, but it might help in the long term :wave:

Back