• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Handling a reluctant bunny - update, he bit me!

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Not expecting a magic answer (I've tried everything) but need let off steam about this. :evil: Spenser will not be picked up, and his vet says I should persever so that I can check his back end, especially in the summer. Plumbs or no plumbs, Spenser considers this region none of my business.:no: Now he is not even keen on me stroking him. I know he's only been neutered just over a week, but I wasn't expecting him to get more nervy and easily upset. His eating is also worse rather than better. :roll:

Last edited:
I think its natural that he will be worse at the moment. The person he trusted took him somewhere strange and scary, and left him there. When he was there they did horrible things and it hurt him. Then he had to go back there at least once (maybe twice?) more since then.

You need to win back his trust to start with. That said, it is important not to let that get in the way of handling him. Its important to be calm and positive about whatever you're doing. Don't be 'on a mission' and its really important not to be anxious about picking him up. Yes, easier said than done, but it is important. Your mindset is the most important thing when it comes to picking him up.

With regards to his eating, does his eating vary with stress levels? (either his or yours)? They will have manhandled his mouth about to check his teeth, any chance he is in pain? I knwo change of routine affects him, so could that also be causing it?

If you are sat on the floor,does he come over to you???
This was a big thing with me and Mrs when I got her.

I feel your pain now...:roll:
Sox used to be fairly easy to handle though! :evil: he's suddenly went hormonal and wants nowt to do with me :( (I'm getting him neuterd, but there's far too much going on just now to bother mum and dad just now :() But with Spenser, I'm sure hell calm down soon :D just persevere as Sky-O says, win back his trust :D sit on the floor and put food on your legs, lie down and let him jump all over you , and give him lots of treats and stuff he likes :)

If you are sat on the floor,does he come over to you???
This was a big thing with me and Mrs when I got her.

Absolutely not - unless I happen to be sitting/standing in the way of something he wants. And Sky-O, Spenser's teeth weren't poked and prodded - they just xrayed his skull while he was under (as far as I know). He has actually been back three times, once for metacam, once for a POC and lastly for me to discuss his xray with his own vet (who didn't do the op) and have his wound checked (as I am unable to do it).

Absolutely not - unless I happen to be sitting/standing in the way of something he wants. And Sky-O, Spenser's teeth weren't poked and prodded - they just xrayed his skull while he was under (as far as I know). He has actually been back three times, once for metacam, once for a POC and lastly for me to discuss his xray with his own vet (who didn't do the op) and have his wound checked (as I am unable to do it).

Why dont you try what Funnybunnyabc and I suggest?? It will take time.
He has trust issues, but it will all come back.Sit on the floor with noms....or read quietly.He will soon come fore a poke about.Bunnies are curious....

Don't like to keep being negative, but he won't come for treats. He will only eat them if I go away, or he will rush away to the most inaccessible corner of the room or hutch to enjoy it in peace. He is curious though, and enjoys exploring the two rooms in the house where he is allowed when I bring him indoors ... better go and see what he is up to, he's developed an alarming interest in windowsills.

Flopsy took at least a month to be calmer when being picked up and stroked after he was neutered so, he is my first bun I have had done, but based on that I would be patient and see how he is in a few weeks. He is generally much better, hasnt weed on me on tried to chew my clothes at all since I had him done :D

How about giving him his food (whatever he likes best, I know he is fussy) after you have had a long session of contact: handling if you can or at least stroking. If it works he should associate being handled with getting fed. This is a method I used to get mine used to being handled and taken out of the hutch, now they sit by the food bowl whenever they go back in! having said that I didnt have any major problems they were relatively good in the first place.

Don't like to keep being negative, but he won't come for treats. He will only eat them if I go away, or he will rush away to the most inaccessible corner of the room or hutch to enjoy it in peace. He is curious though, and enjoys exploring the two rooms in the house where he is allowed when I bring him indoors ... better go and see what he is up to, he's developed an alarming interest in windowsills.

So he normally lives outside in a hutch and run does he? How do you manage to bring him in?

So he normally lives outside in a hutch and run does he? How do you manage to bring him in?

In his carrier! He doesn't mind travelling about in as he got so used to it last summer when I had a broken arm. His run was not attached to the hutch then, so he had to go in the carrier to get to it. It also means he doesn't associate his carrier with going to the vets, but to somewhere he will have more space, stimulation and company.

Last edited:
What exactly does he do when you try and pick him up? Struggle, kick?

Wriggles and shakes himself frantically, then kicks his feet vigorously as he runs away. Even the vet (not his usual one) couldn't handle him to check his wound when I picked him up after neuter. That's how bad he is.

Eddie HATED being handled. We didn't mind really, and largely left him to his own garden-destroying devices as, well, he was a bunny and knew it. :? Some buns just don't like people. Spenser reminds me a bit of him!

We used to just pick him up (no mean feat! gloves often needed!), wrap him up tightly in a towel and put him on the table. One person would hold him tight, stroke his nose etc, while the other lifted his bum up and had a good look. Whole process could be over and done with in 10 minutes. He hated it, so afterwards he'd get a snack and then be put out for a bit more of a run so he could feel ok again.

Spenser sounds like Eddie in that he likes his own space. I'd advise trying to hold him tightly to make him feel more secure, and maybe in one of his blankets (burrito style!) Remember that being firm with holding him isn't being cruel, it's helping him more as he'll feel safer. Try not to worry too much about the whole trust thing when trying to look at his bum, it's just a necessary evil sadly. If it helps put your mind at rest, you could always plant a load of fly-repelling plants in pots and put them around his hutch.

Sorry, I'm not sure whether that helped or not, but I wanted you to know that I've 'been there' with a reluctant bun and it's ok, you just need to be firm and in control of him.

xxx:wave:

Wriggles and shakes himself frantically, then kicks his feet vigorously as he runs away. Even the vet (not his usual one) couldn't handle him to check his wound when I picked him up after neuter. That's how bad he is.

Eddie did this. Firm hands. You need very firm hands. Try not to panic. One hand on his back, then quickly sweep up under the bum. Once you have him, keep the hand firm. And wear a high necked, thicker top if you can so he can grip without slicing you. xxx

Charlie was the same when I got him and I have the scars to prove it, when he got ill with snuffles I was worried I wouldn't be able to pick him up for his meds.

I found if you go in, pick him up first time and be firm he will not struggle and not kick out. I always tuck his head straight under my armpit it keeps him calm and stops him from getting stressed, good luck with picking spencer up:wave:

Eddie did this. Firm hands. You need very firm hands. Try not to panic. One hand on his back, then quickly sweep up under the bum. Once you have him, keep the hand firm. And wear a high necked, thicker top if you can so he can grip without slicing you. xxx

Yes, they like to feel secure, so after doing the sweeping under the bum bit, I think the secret is to then hold them firmly against your chest.

Charlie was the same when I got him and I have the scars to prove it, when he got ill with snuffles I was worried I wouldn't be able to pick him up for his meds.

I found if you go in, pick him up first time and be firm he will not struggle and not kick out. I always tuck his head straight under my armpit it keeps him calm and stops him from getting stressed, good luck with picking spencer up:wave:

Forgot about the armpit - yes, I find this helps.

I have a few like this. The feet flicking is digust, but, having seen complete terror at being handled, its not the same. If he was scared, I would expect him to leg it, or to slink away, no feet flicking. Which implies he just doesn't like it, as opposed to being scared of it.

We all have to deal with things in life we don't like, including rabbits (vaccinations, operations, nail clipping, medications, etc), for their own benefit.

Approach him low, and slowly. Slip a hand over his eyes, and then scoop him up from there. Once you have him he will likely flail, so I have one hand over their eyes and the other under the front end (two fingers in between his front paws), and, making sure I'm sitting down, support his back end with my stomach/thighs and where I 'bend' to sit (how weird does that make me sound), i.e. so bunny is facing outwards. When they are calm, and I am calm, I then try to do whatever I'm trying to, but if they wriggle, they go back to this position.

Sometimes it can also work (provided they are not a biter), holding their bum in one hand, having them facing sideways across you, and having their head under the crook of the arm that is holding their bum- you then have a free hand to help steady him and do whatever needs to be done.

I would suggest ensuring his eyes are covered.

He will be wary after his neuter about being handled. Beano struggles, kicks, bites, scratches, does everything she can to get me to put her down. She can tell when I'm going to pick her up to do a bottom check so will run away but I try to give her something like a treat to eat then pick her up after she's finished or pick her up whilst she's not expecting it then she won't run away. When I've got her I hold her firmly (obviously not tight) and keep her still until she stops struggling so I can check her bottom. Wear long sleeves/a hoody if he scrathches. I don't really know what to suggest as I avoiding picking Beano up when she was at her worst before her spay as it was so difficult xx

Perhaps I should leave him be for another week or so? :? He certainly thinks so, and has settled down into a fur-puddle under the couch to be sure he is totally out of reach.:roll:

Back