• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can I flee treat a feeding mummy rabbit?

emmiiee

Warren Veteran
title says its all really! Can I flee Matilda if shes still feeding??

I picked afew flees off the baby rabbit!!:shock:

and im guessing shes gettin them off tils, so wonderd if I can use it on her? x

I would be very careful with using over the counter flea treatments, especially with the baby bunny. My advice would be: call a vet. You really don't want to take any chances.

Like Antigone says, best to check with the vet. However, this is taken from the data sheet for Advantage flea treatment, taken from the NOAH compendium:

It is particularly important to apply the dose to an area where it cannot be licked off. Correct application will minimise the opportunity for the animal to lick off the product.
Apply only to undamaged skin. Do not allow recently treated animals to groom each other.
Use During Pregnancy and Lactation
Treatment of nursing bitches and queens controls flea infestation on both the dam and offspring.
No reproductive toxic effects have been observed in rats and no primary embryotoxic or teratogenic toxic effects have been observed during the studies on rats and rabbits. Studies on pregnant and lactating bitches, queens and does together with their offspring are limited. Evidence so far indicates that no adverse effects are to be expected in these animals.

So it involves some risk. Personally I would probably just use a flea comb until the kits are a bit older- they are old enough to be treated at 10 weeks. I would get them vaccinated for myxi as soon as they are old enough though (6 weeks).

Like Antigone says, best to check with the vet. However, this is taken from the data sheet for Advantage flea treatment, taken from the NOAH compendium:

It is particularly important to apply the dose to an area where it cannot be licked off. Correct application will minimise the opportunity for the animal to lick off the product.
Apply only to undamaged skin. Do not allow recently treated animals to groom each other.
Use During Pregnancy and Lactation
Treatment of nursing bitches and queens controls flea infestation on both the dam and offspring.
No reproductive toxic effects have been observed in rats and no primary embryotoxic or teratogenic toxic effects have been observed during the studies on rats and rabbits. Studies on pregnant and lactating bitches, queens and does together with their offspring are limited. Evidence so far indicates that no adverse effects are to be expected in these animals.

So it involves some risk. Personally I would probably just use a flea comb until the kits are a bit older- they are old enough to be treated at 10 weeks. I would get them vaccinated for myxi as soon as they are old enough though (6 weeks).

oo thank you for that! so flee comb is the way to go!! :) thanks xx

Back