• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you ever buy a 2nd hand hutch or run?

Fluffytail

New Kit
The title says it all really.

I personally dont think I would buy a 2nd hand hutch, but I would probably consider a 2nd hand metal run (a trixie style for example).

Whats your opinion?

Its a hard question. Depending on where it was from and if you could trust the person.

Personally i have just put 30 hutches into storage to be tipped when i feel better, some i may sell but thats because no sick animal has been kept in them.

If it was from a friend i have known for years and known the animals ect then i would. Not from a stranger though.

I bought a 2nd hand eglu once, it is all metal and plastic. Used it for 2 years then sold it. But I guess they are easily scrubbed and cleaned.

The bunnies became indoor bunnies, I know Sunshine prefers being inside.

yes provided the overall condition was good, and good scrub up, and ventilated for a while dont see a prob

My hutch was second hand! It was a year old and in brilliant condition, was hardly chewed! Its the 6ft hutch and run from rabbit hutch shop. It only cost me £50 a new one would cost £258.20 now! i did ask if any rabbit had been ill or died in it before i bought it, if the answer was yes then i woundnt have bought it.
Also it would have been a sqeeze to buy a new one so the second had one was good. I was so pleased with it.

no definately not- couldn't be sure especially if would what illness any rabbit died of or trust owner previously. If metal may be okay to trigene down. My last lot of hutches got taken to be used for chickens- I wouldn't have let them go for buns as i've had poorly buns in them.

I've got 3 2nd hand hutches all of them came from people at work. One i took a bunny on who lived in the hutch the other 2 the bunnies died of old age. All of them i disinfected twice and sorted them out. I think i had them both for 4 weeks before i put a bun in them. Then i checked them everyday for 6 weeks to make sure they were ok.

i bought a second hand hutch for reggie before he was bonded to ruby and it didn't bother me, i bleached it and let it dry out first though. I would still buy second hand though as long as i was sure that the bunny didn't die of anything nasty like myxo.

I have, but I'm quite selective. I treat it very throughly before even letting it into my house. I use vet quality disinfectant and it stays out the front of the house until thoroughly cleaned and i'm satisfied. I've bought two Thistle Halls for emergency use and an indoor cage and never had any problems from them.

every single one of my hutches is second hand well 1 came with the guinea pig! the owners got bored!! :censored::censored::censored:

and one was ex diplay at p@h so was in near oerfect condition bar a lick of pain etc x

3 others were from a friend

I wouldnt because I like them to look nice but if it was in perfect condition I would :wave:

Youd be amazed what a litle TLC can do, the playhouse i bought had buns in it before and its 8 years old! :shock:

It depends where its from, i got my PH from a forum member and i trust her, but ive also bleached it all and put a new OSB floor down. I think its pretty safe now :)

I almost bought a 2nd hand hutch, but was very wary and in the end pulled out, but i didnt trust the person and later realised it actually had 2 previous owners, not just the 1. Too Risky IMO

Back