• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

People with respiratory bunnies

hurricanhoney

Wise Old Thumper
What antibiotics are you using. We are going to take Frankie of dipocilin as its not lasting so long now as he is building up a resistance to it. Would like some to suggest when I go on Monday. :wave:

Engemycin la worked very well for Santa. Or metronidazole but it depends on the cause (e.g tooth root infection) as that only kills anaerobes. Ronaxan was also good. Baytril and septrin less so although others seem to have good success with septrin. Would also recommend bisolvon, metacam to reduce inflammation and nebulising with f10 in saline. Ideally c&s to identify the right abx but easier said than done I know x

Engemycin la worked very well for Santa. Or metronidazole but it depends on the cause (e.g tooth root infection) as that only kills anaerobes. Ronaxan was also good. Baytril and septrin less so although others seem to have good success with septrin. Would also recommend bisolvon, metacam to reduce inflammation and nebulising with f10 in saline. Ideally c&s to identify the right abx but easier said than done I know x

Thanks Santa I will suggest those on Monday. He has already had two lots of xrays and c&s which enabled us to start of decopilin injections, septrin and metacam. He's been on and off them now for a year so they aren't having the same affect. Its an infection in his adinoids (spelling:oops:) down the throat.

Has he had a C+S test? If not do they think it would be worth trying some?

You might try getting in touch with Sooz, she is knowledgable about abx and I *think* had good results with oxytetracycline - check that though as I could be mistaken!

Hope they can find something to help Frankie x

Has he had a C+S test? If not do they think it would be worth trying some?

You might try getting in touch with Sooz, she is knowledgable about abx and I *think* had good results with oxytetracycline - check that though as I could be mistaken!

Hope they can find something to help Frankie x

Thanks, he's had two lots of test and chest xrays.

Engemycin works well for Oscar and BB (although BB is now off it)
Septrin works well too, along with bisolvin to clear the mucus and metacam to reduce the inflammation (along with zantac to protect the stomach)

Badger has been on Zithromax solidly for ten months now, and on and off it a bit, prior to that. Its served him very well and helped prolong his life a lot.

Uniphyllin, Ronaxan and the steroid Pednicare.

The vet had to chop and change them to find a combination that worked for Tulip.

Is Frankie on an anti inflammatory too? I really hope the vet can find the right drugs to help:)

Septrin works for Molly, Baytril works for Brian. I always give bisolven as well, this makes a big improvement.

Uniphyllin, Ronaxan and the steroid Pednicare.

The vet had to chop and change them to find a combination that worked for Tulip.

Is Frankie on an anti inflammatory too? I really hope the vet can find the right drugs to help:)

Yeah he has metacam injections as well.

We are using Baytril for Bluebell but nebulising it so it is going directly to the source of the problem. We previously tried oral baytril, septrin and alamycin la (an ocytetracyline) but none of it seemed to work as well as our current treatment.

Depocillin worked best here too - but didnt clear up the infections.

We've used Baytril/Septrin/Depocillin here.

Zithromax may be used soon, maybe.

Mine have been on a two week course of Septrin but Widget is still snotty and I'm wondering if it is just allergies now. Sprocket was the only one whose C&S showed anything up, but it's Widget who's been the most snotty and it's mainly when she's eating, or when I've been sweeping them out, so I'm inclined to think she's very sensitive to dust. Sprocks is still snuffling but doesn't seem to have much discharge now. But Widget is still the same. :cry:

Back