• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Updating Rabbits Hutch & Run & Questions :)

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

I've now decided to update Milly and Molly's hutch and run to better standards. I have been concerned about the size of their run for a while and I've finally realised that they can't really run. They binky but can only binky in a circle and do about 4 hops before they crash into a litter tray or into the side of the run. It's currently 5ft x 5ft and I'm hoping to upgrade it to a 8ft x 6ft. I'm also planning on having the run attached to the hutch so that they can access both areas when they like. I cuurently have a Happy Hutch hutch but I've always dreamed of owning a Ryedale loglap hutch. :love: But I have a few questions as I've never had an attached run before.

1. Is it better to get a greater quality hutch and run from Ryedale Hutches, even though they are more expensive or get a good quality hutch and run from Happy hutches?
http://www.rehutches.com/
http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/

2. I currently have a run cover for my 5ft run which is good quality and would need to purchase another one, however how does it fit around a hutch and run combo? Does it have a flap to lift up so that you can get in the run or do you have to remove it all before you get in the run?

3. How do you clean out the hutch? Do you stand in the run? Or do you have to lean over the run to access the hutch? I need to clean the hutch daily (due to rabbits using bedroom area as litter tray) so it needs to be practical.

4. Molly has sore hocks so I was hoping to attach some vetbed to the ladder leading from hutch to run to avoid her damaging her bald hocks. Is this a good idea? Should the vetbed be velcroed so that it can be removed to wash?

5. Should you build a wall against the ladder as a sort of bannister to prevent them jumping from the top of the ladder? We used to have rabbits before Milly and Molly and our last one broke her back leaping from the top of a ladder in her double storey hutch, so this is a major concern.

6. Should they have 24/7 access to the run or should they just have daytime access?

3. How do you clean out the hutch? Do you stand in the run? Or do you have to lean over the run to access the hutch? I need to clean the hutch daily (due to rabbits using bedroom area as litter tray) so it needs to be practical.

If you set the combo up so that the run sticks out to the back (rather than at the front as most photos seem to show it) it's much easier to access the hutch. I can show you a photo of mine if you don't know what I mean.

In answer to your last question I always take the view that, if the housing is safe enough for daytime use, then it's safe for overnight too. As long as nothing can dig in our out, mesh is all secure, locks on all doors etc, then I would give them 24 hr access.

I would personally keep the existing hutch and spend all the money on a large aviary enclosure that the hutch could stay in, open at all times :D

I would personally keep the existing hutch and spend all the money on a large aviary enclosure that the hutch could stay in, open at all times :D

we can only fit in a hutch and run, not a shed/wendyhouse/avairy. they are still going to get far more space than they do currently and I think they'll love it. The hutch and run I have currently is coming up to 4 years old and showing its age so it's time that it was replaced and upgraded.

I've found out that the two hutch companies I have in mind only do a 6ft x 6ft hutch/run combo and actually this size fits much better in our garden so decided to go for this size instead.

still got questions unanswered though. ;)

thanks karenM for answering that question. I think I'll probably put the hutch at the back of the run though as I much prefer this look and also having the hutch at the front would block out sunlight from the run, so i think I'll probably have to climb into the run to clean out the hutch but this isn't too bad. :)

I have a Ryedale hutch and attatched run, I researched all the specs before I got it, and it is STURDY AND VERY WELL MADE Very thick wood, covered in cladding. Just as well as Peter has chewed a hole thru al that!!! ( at night when I used to shut him and Lola in the hutch during the bad weather.) He would have gone right thru a lesser made hutch, probably would have lost them :(
What has been my mistake was to get a floor level hutch/run combo, I've really struggles to reach into it to clean it out (daily too) and they are not reliably litter trained.:? I got that as Lola is quite abig bun and middle aged!!!

I am now in process of upgrading to a wendyhouse ( a few notes in the housing section) If this doesn't work I will seriously cry buckets!!!

I think if there is any possibility of chewing, Ryedale is the way to go. Very helpful, free delivery and ready assembled I think too.

Hiya

I've now decided to update Milly and Molly's hutch and run to better standards. I have been concerned about the size of their run for a while and I've finally realised that they can't really run. They binky but can only binky in a circle and do about 4 hops before they crash into a litter tray or into the side of the run. It's currently 5ft x 5ft and I'm hoping to upgrade it to a 8ft x 6ft. I'm also planning on having the run attached to the hutch so that they can access both areas when they like. I cuurently have a Happy Hutch hutch but I've always dreamed of owning a Ryedale loglap hutch. :love: But I have a few questions as I've never had an attached run before.

1. Is it better to get a greater quality hutch and run from Ryedale Hutches, even though they are more expensive or get a good quality hutch and run from Happy hutches?
http://www.rehutches.com/
http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/

I would go for Ryedale, although more expensive, they're better quality.

2. I currently have a run cover for my 5ft run which is good quality and would need to purchase another one, however how does it fit around a hutch and run combo? Does it have a flap to lift up so that you can get in the run or do you have to remove it all before you get in the run?

There is a seller on eBay that does hutch covers to your requirements, but I can't find him. You could ask him to make one with a flap?

Stand it so the run is at the back, not at the front.

4. Molly has sore hocks so I was hoping to attach some vetbed to the ladder leading from hutch to run to avoid her damaging her bald hocks. Is this a good idea? Should the vetbed be velcroed so that it can be removed to wash?

Could you glue soft carpet to it? I was just thinking vet bed is quite soft :?

5. Should you build a wall against the ladder as a sort of bannister to prevent them jumping from the top of the ladder? We used to have rabbits before Milly and Molly and our last one broke her back leaping from the top of a ladder in her double storey hutch, so this is a major concern.

Yes, you could build a ramp, and put sides on it?

6. Should they have 24/7 access to the run or should they just have daytime access?

I would say 24/7 access. If it's safe in the day, its safe at night too

Hope this helped :wave:

Hope this helped :wave:

thank you for your help. :)

I'm thinking about vetbed for the ramp because she needs very soft bedding/flooring otherwise her hocks flare up with infection. She got sore hocks by being on carpet and I think vetbed is soft enough for her hocks.

thank you for your help. :)

I'm thinking about vetbed for the ramp because she needs very soft bedding/flooring otherwise her hocks flare up with infection. She got sore hocks by being on carpet and I think vetbed is soft enough for her hocks.

Ah ok. I used vetbed in spain, and it was quite slippy, sorry :oops:

Due to practicality, we've decided to keep the hutch we have currently as all it needs is re-felting and some new wood preservative. The run however is too small really and is near enough falling apart, so that does need to be replaced, so I'm going to purchase a 8ft x 5ft run for use during daytime like they have always had. It's not as good as having the run attached to the hutch, but at least when they are in the run, they'll have much more running space currently.

Back