• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finishing playhouse - nearly there!

bunsterfied

Alpha Buck
My new playhouse fpr Pete and Lola is nearly finished. The insulation and inner cladding with thick plywood covered in mesh seems very effective, and the gaps around the door have been sealed with extra wood.

Unfortunately the carpenter crawled home after working on and off all week on it (fitting around other jobs) as he was getting painful joints working in such a small space!!! (he has promised to return next week)

The perspex windows are still in, not removable as I'd hoped. I know this will have to be changed before it gets hotter weather, but fox - wise I presume there's no possibilty of a break in to a fixed perspex window (fox paranoa) ?
I don't have a staple gun , should it be meshed even tho perspex still in?

There is just one shelve to act as a "shelter" to be stuffed with hay and litter tray , will that be ok without any door to it? Hope to add ramp very soon.

Lino is a bit slippery, but will be needed as Peter isn't reliable with litter tray.

It's on my to-do-list, to take pics but so annoying that it's nearly finished but I can't really move them in. (have had 90 year old Mum here for 3 months, deaf and arthritic, as her house flooded at Xmas, she went back yesterday, plus I have my disabled husband)

Off to Homebase for a lock, a staple gun , grip fixers for a rug, and look for something to help with the slightly rough edges of the mesh where their exit hole is into the tunnel/run at front of house (carpenter made a 6" hole, then we pushed the mesh around the edges of hole, and into the cavity to stop Peter making it twice as big!!!) Any ideas?? Can't think of anything that Peter won't eat!!!

Hope Lola can get thru that size hole!!! The Runaround exit hole is 5" and Caroline said that is ok for even the biggest bun's bum, but Lola is blessed with a huge pear shape like me!!

I had hoped for this too, but as reliant on the carpenter, he was doubtful as we have insulated and added a lot of cladding making the wall thick, that he could fit one ok. AND again I had visions of Peter demolishing it somehow. I have a big piece of wood to seal over the hole at night if I want to keep them in ( thinking snow, ice , wind , rain of this winter!) Just need to go carefully over all the edges of the cut mesh.....

As the whole project spiralled out of control ( over £900 - 6ft 5 x 4 ft wendyhouse, £250, building of wendyhouse £120, materials from me £80 , carpenter plus his wood materials £450)

I am seriously wondering about sleeping in it myself when my sons both turn up together in 2 weeks time (unheard of usually) . It is sooooo snug!!!

I'm trying to console myself that it's about £100 less than the first quote I got!!!

I'll have to pay great attention to the roof and outer woodwork, as it must now last for at least 10 years!!!!

Back