• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How fresh are the fruit/veggies you give to your buns?

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
I just had a conversation with my dad about how some of the spring greens I was going to give to the buns were going off. Not mouldy in anyway but a little bit limp. My dads view was "it's only going to the rabbits, they can eat it like that".

I'm a bit fussy when it comes to food and will only eat stuff whilst it's in it's prime (will probably change when I move out and start doing my own shopping :lol:) and the same with the bunnies. If I wouldn't eat it, they don't get it!

Is everyone else the same or can I afford to be a tad more relaxed about it? I seem to end up throwing a fair bit of veggies away each week. Am I wasting my money?

Anything past it best buy date I compost. My buns are my children, they won't have second best!

Last edited:
I feed my buns whatever I'd eat but I don't mind if veg is a little past it.
The chickens get whatever I don't want to eat myself although they do get fresh veggies too.

I think the amount of food people on the whole waste is appalling :oops: so I try to be quite sensible with my shopping and don't have a lot of "leftovers". I'd never let stuff get to a point where it has to be thrown either, I'd make sure someone eats it before then. :)

I am fussy with the bunnies and worry anything that even looks dodgy even before the use by date is binned. Though only started washing them a few weeks ago. :oops:

I buy veg from the supermarkets every 3 days. I would feed them things that are 'limp' as I would eat those :shock: :wave:

I'm a bit like Kath, we hate wasting. Carrot peelings/tops, bottoms of cabbage, brocolli, leaves of cauliflour go to the buns. Veg gets composted or goes to the chickens. Everything that can be recycled is etc.

Last edited:
I'm the same - I'll only feed my bunnies what I myself would eat (with the exception of dandelion, brambles & hay :lol:) anything "on the turn" goes to the chickens - in addition to their fresh food. Anything that is left that is going mouldy is composted - OH bought a punnet of stawberries once that were mouldy by next day - and were refridgerated :shock:

p.s. has anyone eaten dandilion leaves/flowers to see what they taste like? Any good in a salad?

It took me a while to accept the waste involved in keeping a rabbit, especially a fussy eater like mine - but I don't happily use things past their date.

I only give them stuff I would eat - but I'll happily eat stuff that's on the turn :lol:

Most of their food is picked fresh that day anyway.

Back