• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Getting worried now, is it GI Stasis?

Shinysun

Young Bun
History: Holly and Honey arrived from rescue 2 weeks ago and were indoors with us. Today at midday I took them outdoors to their new home, which I thought would be far less stressful than the move from rescue in the car.

They are eating, have had grass (copious amounts today as they are now living on it, but we have been giving them grass every day since they got here.), burgess pellets, brambles, dandelion, inch or 2 of carrot.

Since going outside though, they have not pooped or peed, and the water bowl is at same level as when given to them. So 6 hours now. They were still eating pellets a few minutes ago, the only thing they have not really touched at all since being moved outside is hay. The temp inside was 18C and it was sunny when we put them out so didn't think temperature shock would be the cause, though it's getting chilly now.

They seem inquisitive enough, but I'm now quite worried. We weighed them before taking them outside and they have lost weight since we got them, Holly down 3oz to 4lb 2oz, and Honey down 8oz to 6lb 15oz. We didn't get told specifically how much the rescue was feeding them, so although they've had endless hay, and grass, dandelion, occasional carrot/romaine and pellets everyday, I guess we could change that. That's for another post I guess!

Main worry is stasis. Advice other than to whizz them off to the vet? (I thought maybe enough stress for one day, and maybe I'm just over worrying as I'm prone to that).

Susan

The time from midday to about 6.00 pm would be 'quiet time' for bunnies so I wouldn't expect them to eat much during that time. I've also noticed with my bunnies in the past when I've cleaned their litter trays out mid morning that they haven't used them by this sort of time, so probably they just haven't needed to go yet.

Stasis would probably have other symptoms than not eating and pooing such as looking lethargic/uncomfortable/scared. It would also be unlikely for both to go into stasis unless they had both eaten something that upset them, had a shock etc - even then one could react and not the other.

I suspect from the information you've given that they are okay. If you remain worried perhaps bring them back inside, if you see more definite symptoms of ill health then that might be the time to contact the vet.

Edit to add: If they had eaten too much grass for instance, I think it would be pretty obvious from symptoms of bellyache, not just not pooing.

Last edited:
It's like they heard you

Thanks so much for your reply. Part of me was thinking they can't both be ill at same time, and not this quickly, but then I've read so many things can cause it and as I say I'm incredibly prone to worrying unnecessarily!

True to form, a small pile of poo appeared whilst I was in typing :) Honestly I've never been so happy to see poo before.

That's the problem with working 9-5 and cleaning out in the evening - there's been so much poo each morning (and they've been rearranging the hay/paper/furniture that I hadn't noticed a lack in increase when I got home, and likewise being at work I've not seen their eating habits during the full 24 hours, as last weekend was spent with them having a few visitors and I didn't notice particularly what was going on.

It's been a stressful two weeks, hopefully now they are out to enjoy the sun and air we can all chill a bit :)

Thanks again
Susan

It sounds like you are doing brilliantly. Spotting any little signs of behaviour being out of the ordinary can make so much difference with bunnies. It's surprising how well you will get to know their little behaviour traits and what they mean. They are lucky to have found someone so vigilant to their needs. It's so easy also to read more into it than there is - I'm an expert at it :lol::lol:

Well I can only do my best! With so much that can go wrong it is indeed easy to read too much into things, especially when you aren't yet fully up to speed on what's normal for them.

I figure rather than irritate the heck out of the vet with neurotic phone calls every 2 mins, I could at least come here and find many wise heads to help and you guys understand cos you all love and worry about your buns too!

And of course if it really is obvious something's up I'll be down the vet's straight away, have no fear! I've registered at one that has a 24 hour emergency hospital 15 mins away so I can bug them night and day! :lol:

Back