• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping rabbits in a bird aviary?

Type.rst

New Kit
I have a bird aviary which measures 13ft x 8ft. I have budgies and cockatiels in there a total of 12 birds. I have always liked rabbits and have kept a dwarf lop in the past. Now ive came across this website which suggests its absolutely fine keeping rabbits in a bird aviary, http://www.saferpets.co.uk/KeepingMammalsInAnAviary.html but i asked my local pet shop owner and he said it wasnt a good idea. My plan is to put the hutch in the aviary with a little ramp so the rabbit can use the aviary floor as a big run as i have not got any room in my garden for a separate run for the rabbit. What are your thoughts people? Thank you.

Last edited:
With rabbits being clean by nature, if the birds are going to be pooping on the floor of the rabbits area, or even on the the poor bunnys. I personally wouldn't. Is there a way you could split the aviary, with the buns on the floor and the birds above but seperated?

I would not keep my rabbits in my bird aviary :shock:
The rabbits will get pooped on all the time :roll:

Yes, I think the source you found saying rabbits are fine in aviaries means that aviaries are a good alternative to a run.... not that they can be kept with birds.

I would not recommend it :)

Yh i was planning on keeping a hutch inside the aviary with a ramp so the rabbit could use the aviary as a big run. But reading your replies makes me think. I'm still a little confused as that website i posted seems to be a good site for everything animals and their safety. Hmmm

I wouldn't even consider putting bunnies in with birds. No offense :shock:

Bunnies are prey animals, so naturally they would be very scared, Sox is PETRIFIED of birdies.
What if the bird swooped down to the ground, and the bun got scared and attacked/injured/killed the bird? Or the other way round.
And also, bird poop, I'm sure birdy poop can't be good for bunny tummys/skin?

I think the website just means they can have an aviary as a run, but without the birds in! :)
Sorry, not a good idea!

My bedroom is my "bird room" where my budgies and tiels get playtime out for most of the day. Izzy (RIP) used to live in my room and it was fine. My ducks are also in my room at night/cold days/stormy days/if I'm gone etc but are usually outdoors when the birds are having playtime. Obviously since its my bedroom and I have wood flooring I can easily wipe it up so its not too mucky. I think this kinda set up is fine, since I was usually in there, not only to supervise my birds, but I also could make sure my rabbit didn't get hurt.. I'm going to do this again with my buns later on... but I dunno about an aviary..

I wouldn't put a bun in with birds as it will probably get pooped on all the time and I'd be weary about my bun catching a disease or something from the bacteria in bird faeces, also if the bun is on the ground with all the poop then it will constantly be breathing in all the nasties from the poop, not good for their respiratory system I should think.

hmm i see, i think i'll just invest in a hutch with a attached run. I thought maybe it would be a good idea when i saw that site but now im not so sure.

Weirdly enough the website is definitely suggesting keeping them together! I'd avoid a website like that personally. It seems to defy logic and not know that much about different species of animals.

Back