• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vets not recommending VHD vacs

Rhian33

Warren Veteran
I called a local vet practice yesterday as I am considering my options because my current vet is a chain and seems to employ vets who are inexperienced. I called one that was recommended to me by a very experienced guinea pig owner and I was shocked at what the nurse/receptionist had to say.

I asked about experience etc which she said that one of the vets was very good with small furries which was good. When I asked about vacs she quoted the price for myxo and that was it. When I pressed her for info about VHD she said "not sure, people don't really ask for it". I was flabbergasted. It shouldn't be upto the general public to request vaccinations, the vets should be pushing it!

Should I write to the practice manager and include some info about why VHD vaccinations are just as important as the myxo?

shes only the receptionist, the vets may be completly different :wave:

No, she is the one who sorts out peoples bills and said that they don't do many vaccs because people don't ask for them which is why she didn't know the price but knew the price for the myxo vac without looking it up :wave:

shes only the receptionist, the vets may be completly different :wave:

I agree... i guess she is only saying that most people with buns dont ask for that Vacc... it doesnt mean the vets dont tell them about it or that they dont do it.

In our vets they currently have a large wall full of rabbit information, espcially Vaccs :) And you cant help but read it :lol:

I agree... i guess she is only saying that most people with buns dont ask for that Vacc... it doesnt mean the vets dont tell them about it or that they dont do it.

In our vets they currently have a large wall full of rabbit information, espcially Vaccs :) And you cant help but read it :lol:

That's what I thought at first so questioned her more. She just laughed and said no when I asked if the vets recommend it even when the person hasn't requested it.

One vets told me because my rabbits dont live in the garden in a hutch, they dont need to be vaccinated at all! :shock: I changed vets and they told me i only needed to have the myxi one done - i changed again (to the only other option) and they told me they only need vaccinating once a year. Since i've spoken to them, i now get 6 monthly reminders. Mine are due for their boosters on Tuesday. (Oh joy :roll: )

One vets told me because my rabbits dont live in the garden in a hutch, they dont need to be vaccinated at all! :shock: I changed vets and they told me i only needed to have the myxi one done - i changed again (to the only other option) and they told me they only need vaccinating once a year. Since i've spoken to them, i now get 6 monthly reminders. Mine are due for their boosters on Tuesday. (Oh joy :roll: )

Oh dear. I've decided to stick with my current vets because at least they recommend the right vacs and the last vet I saw (now at our practice full time) gave the buns the most thorough health check I have ever seen a vet do. She's admitted to knowing nothing about rats but I think she will be ok.

Good luck for Tuesday :wave:

Most people don't vaccinate their rabbits :(

I wouldn't judge the fact that the receptionist didn't know the price off hand.

Most people don't vaccinate their rabbits :(

I wouldn't judge the fact that the receptionist didn't know the price off hand.

I wasn't judging the receptionist not knowing, I was expecting her to look it up. It was the fact that "we don't do it very often, most people don't ask for it" which was the part that worried me. The vet should be ensuring that people know about the risks and encourage them to go for the extra vac.

Back