View Full Version : Rabbit rescues in Essex? Or near Dartford tunnel, M25?

02-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Does anybody know of any?

I know Kris (Starlight) isn't rehoming any more and the only other one I know of is Little Angels in Romford but somebody told me that they aren't rescuing at the moment as the lady has had a baby.

PS. I don't know if I posted this in the right place ~ I wasn't really sure where to put it. :? :oops:

02-04-2011, 12:51 PM
What's the problem Karen? :wave:

02-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Would Ipswich be too far to travel? We have many gorgeous bunnies looking for homes. We travel to Romford quite regularly (mum's parents are there) and it would take a bit over an hour to get to the Centre from the M25 junction on the A12 I reckon.

Having reread it, I may have misunderstood, sorry. Seems like you're looking for someone to take a bunny as opposed to adopt?

ETA- this of any use? http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/centres.asp#Essex

02-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Rabbit Residence is a bit far north, by Royston is the Herts/Essex border area, they have a TON of buns desperate for new homes! However, I think Caroline does have a waiting list for buns coming into the rescue.

02-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Gbh rescue is in beckenham; or there's one the other way at Leigh on sea. Hope everything is ok x

02-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Sorry, I should have made it clear - sadly I'm not looking to adopt a bunny :( but it's the other way round.... a mum at school has a bunny she no longer wants and is scared to handle (she's 6 mths old and hutch aggressive by the sound of things).

She's asking people at school but it sounds like a recipe for disaster unless the new owner is prepared to spay, hence I suggested rescues as the best bet if possible.

I did think about GBH but am not far how willing she is to travel even - it's a 'shame' I didn't know last week as we were at GBH getting a new hammy.

I'd gladly take the bunny somewhere myself but am not sure how rescues would view this? I wouldn't want them to think bunny was mine but I was too ashamed to say so.

02-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Unfortunately all the rescues I called 4 weeks ago in Surrey, Essex London and Kent were overfull :( I spoke to GBH at the time and they were over run with bunnies and piggies with so many waiting to come in, but none going out :(

Is she the sort of woman who would be willing to spay and let her hormones die down?

02-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Unfortunately all the rescues I called 4 weeks ago in Surrey, Essex London and Kent were overfull :(

That's what I was thinking tbh. :( I had a quick drool over the bunnies at GBH last week and there were lots. :( I didn't ask about their waiting list or anything because it wasn't relevant at the time.

Spaying was the first thing I mentioned to her but she's really not interested at all. :( The aggression isn't the only reason for rehoming but it's the one that makes her less appealing to potential new owners - which is good in a way as it means somebody won't just take her on a whim, but even so. :(

I don't think the bunny was really her idea in the first place (although that's not an excuse to me, but that's how she views it). Her oh got her for their daughter but now they've split.... he's moved out leaving her to look after the bun that she didn't really want. I think the split with her ex has hit her very hard too.

02-04-2011, 04:37 PM
One alternative would be if you could "foster" her until a rescue has space, or rehome her through yourself if you got her ready (ie spay/vacc)?

Though I could not have her here, I could if you took her, advertise her through our website and on our Rabbit Rehome account to get more interest in her.

02-04-2011, 04:44 PM
I've thought of it (I kind of wish she didn't know me and know I had bunnies as she wouldn't have told me) but it's not really an option for a few reasons - money and housing being the two main ones. :(

Thanks for all your help though Kris. I will try a few rescues just on the off chance.

02-04-2011, 05:46 PM
It's hard, isn't it :(

I may have a chicken style coop being donated if you could find a willing fosterer on a temp basis. x

02-04-2011, 07:33 PM
While it's more of a trek, The Mayhew in North London might have space. They just finished their new bunny block and only have 3 buns on their website. Maybe if she's unwilling to travel, you could ship it to a rescue that does have space? Worth giving them a call at any rate.

02-04-2011, 08:49 PM
It's hard, isn't it :(

I know.... and this is only one bunny. I couldn't run a rescue and deal with this all the time. :(

I'm not sure where The Mayhew is, but will look into that too. Thanks. :)

02-04-2011, 09:11 PM
wrong thread :oops: