• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Shed Window Advice Please

Honeybean

Warren Scout
Hi :wave:

Can someone advise me regarding my shed window. My buns have a shed which came with a fixed plastic window. It was fine for the winter, but I wish it could open to give good ventilation.

At the moment I am opening the door and letting my buns free range when I am home, however, the free ranging will be stopping for the time being as my cheeky buns keep eating all my plants, flowers,cuttings etc. :lol: So I will be buying them a run to go on the grass. (They have a 6ft run attached to their shed, but its on the patio and they do love frolicking on the grass :roll:).

Anyway, as the weather gets warmer they will need constant ventilation rather than for the hours that they are free ranging.

Anyway, to get to the point, the current window is fixed, I was thinking of completely removing it and putting some strong chicken wire in the window. But my dh said the buns will get frozen in the winter... and doesnt think I should do that.

Any suggestions or what has worked well for you?

Thanks
Kim

Put the plastic window back on in colder months. You could fix the plastic window using small timber blocks pushed up against and screwed in to the frame and take them of in warmer months.

Yes you can temporarily fix the window back in for winter. I have perspex that is cut to the size of some of my windows with holes carefully drilled in each corner. When it's winter I fix them to the outside of the window using a few small screws.

I would use proper mesh instead of chicken wire, just incase

I have weld mesh inside my shed window. If it is raining hard or extra cold, i fix the perspex window on witb turn buttons to keep the wind/rain off.

We have heavy guage mesh across our window. We made some slots for the plastic window to slide up and down in and a slider at 2 points to catch it at the bottom (ie one to hold it closed and one to hold it open).

Make it into an opening window...

Take out the perspex and lever off the bars holding it in place
Make a simple frame to fit in the opening
Use a really fine drill bit to drill through the perspex and screw the perspex to the inside of the frame
Attach it to the opening using two hinges, and use a bolt to lock it inside

Its a ten minute job if you have the tools.

All mine have opening windows.
BB and Joey have a half opener - the top half is fixed and the bottom half opens (inwards)
2010_0616Image0139-1.jpg

Last edited:
For improved ventilation, you could also make a mesh covered frame which sits behind the shed door (the same way fly screen doors do on real houses). Then you can have the solid door propped open in summer with the mesh door closed to keep the bunnies in but let in lots of air and light (it may also make them easier to watch!). In winter, you just start closing the solid door again.

Back