• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am i a mean bunny mummy?

BetsandBob

Young Bun
I have booked Bobby in for his bits and bobs op on monday. Is that a mean thing to do? i feel so bad :cry: I cancelled once before, i really can't cancel it again but it makes me want to cry. xx

edited - spelling mistake!

No, it's far from unkind, the complete opposite in fact its the right thing to do - try not to worry it is usually a very simple op for the boys and they get over it very quickly. Without his accessories he will be free to enjoy his life without constant distraction and he can find a friend to share his life with :D

Its the total opposite of being a bad mommy. Getting your rabbit neutered is the kindest thing for your bunny (or any pet). x

Im so worried he will be a completely different boy.... (obviously he will be in the physical sense) I want him to be the sweet little one he is now, and i want him to still get along with my girl rabbit :?

I sound so stupid in all my posts.. constantly worrying :oops: xx

Im so worried he will be a completely different boy.... (obviously he will be in the physical sense) I want him to be the sweet little one he is now, and i want him to still get along with my girl rabbit :?

I sound so stupid in all my posts.. constantly worrying :oops: xx

My bunny got sweeter :) And it will help so much for him to get along with your girl! Nothing better than (baby free) bunny love :love:

That is very true.... although i love the babies to pieces, 7 is the magic number for me at the moment!

Thank you all for your help, you've made me relax about it now.. come 9am on monday i wont be quite the same however :( my poor little fluff ball. xx

No, she isnt.... I was going to get her done because i'd heard that they are likely to get cancer if theyre not done but the vet nurse said its better for him to be done, *or maybe i should get them both done?? xx

Yes it's better to get them both done. There's an 80% chance that she can get cancer in later life.

Do they live together and neither of them have been 'done' yet?

Definitely get them both done, but check your vet's experience with bunnies first, as the girlie one is slightly more invasive.
It will just make them happier, more relaxed bunnies and certainly has health benefits for your girlie.

I was in a terrible state when I took my first rabbit to be neutered. She recovered quicker than I did I think, she was absolutely fine.

They were living together, but have seperated them due to her being pregnant and since giving birth - if i didnt get him done they would continue to be seperated and thats no fun for anyone!

I will definately book her to be done too, although with it being more 'technical' i will be a completely wreck :? xx

They need to be separated for a few weeks afterwards too.

When were they separated?

How long ago did she give birth?

Definatley a good thing to do. Bramble was done over a week ago now and he is fine......in fact I'm not sure he has even realised! Better if you are putting your boy in with your girl, and better for his health long term too.

I was the same as you, but now I'm so glad I did it for him.

Oh they will be separated til probably May time i imagine. The babies are going to be 3 weeks old on sunday.

I think its the right idea now ive heard from everyone here. xx

Today is the day, my poor poor boy :cry: but i know its for the best. Bless him, he was in the cutest mood today, non-stop licks :love: hope he doesnt change.

Today is the day, my poor poor boy :cry: but i know its for the best. Bless him, he was in the cutest mood today, non-stop licks :love: hope he doesnt change.

My Biccy was the same, licky non-cuddly bunny :) He jsut stopped circling and honking lol

All you are changing is the hormones, so only the things he is made to do by his hormones will change :)

You are doing the right thing, wouldnt you rather be neutered and have a friend, rather than be fertile and have no contact with other humans? I know I would.

Also, I would get her spayed before you bond them again. By splitting them you have broken the bond, and unspayed females are naturally terortorial, so it may be a lot harder to bond them this time. Whatever you decide to do, he may be fertile still for up to 6 weeks post-op, so dont reintroduce before then!

Back