• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Minimum/Recommended Run Size - Seperated Run

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
If i was to purchase a run, it would obviously be seperate, as B&G are housebuns.

So with that in mind....

What size would be the MINIMUM would you say?
What size would be the RECOMMENDED would you say?

I was thinking 6ftx4ft min, but im not really clued up on runs etc, so wanted to ask the experts.

It was 6ft x 4ft but I noticed recently the RWAF now quote 6ft x 8ft.

To be honest it depends what you want it for. If its just access to fresh air 6ft x 4ft is fine. They can binky and run ok in that space. But the bigger you go the faster they run and the more fantastic the binkies.

I have 7ft x 5ft for most my pairs which I think it a nice compromise between the two.

I always thought the minimum was 6x4. If they've changed it to 6x8 then that's ridiculous!

Ours have a lovely 7x5, which is ideal. Biscuit hates being out though :roll:

It was 6ft x 4ft but I noticed recently the RWAF now quote 6ft x 8ft.

To be honest it depends what you want it for. If its just access to fresh air 6ft x 4ft is fine. They can binky and run ok in that space. But the bigger you go the faster they run and the more fantastic the binkies.

I have 7ft x 5ft for most my pairs which I think it a nice compromise between the two.

I think 7x5 is a good size too :)

I have so many things i want to buy, its untrue.

Guess i'll just be looking around :)

I'm not sure on 6x4 as it doesn't seem much space. I'm in the process of saving up for a 12x6 (possibly larger if funds allow). Can't wait!

Mine have got a permanent 6x4 run attached under their hutch which seemed huge to start with but now i'd like to get them something bigger as they really can't run round at full speed in there, but no room in our current garden, luckily now the weather is perking up they will soon be getting a few hours a night free range and we're hopinh to move next Spring so will get them an extension then :)

I'd want to go for a bit bigger than 6x4. I think they're a good side to attach to a hutch but if it's for exercise time I'd want a bit more!

Saying that I just plonk my buns in the garden! Milly will be able to go out for the first time soon :D

I'd want to go for a bit bigger than 6x4. I think they're a good side to attach to a hutch but if it's for exercise time I'd want a bit more!

Saying that I just plonk my buns in the garden! Milly will be able to go out for the first time soon :D

chance would be a fine thing. I have ragwort (suspected) in my garden, so can't do that and its not bunny safe even if that wasn't there.

Gray if you have ragwort remember its poisonous to you aswell so only ever pull it out if you are wearing gloves.

Gray if you have ragwort remember its poisonous to you aswell so only ever pull it out if you are wearing gloves.

Oh believe you me, its going DOWN Amy, withuot me anywhere near it.

It's getting spot sprayed EVERY DAY to make sure it goes down, then it'll be CUT OUT of the ground and more spray. I'm making sure of it.

Thank you for caring :)

Oh believe you me, its going DOWN Amy, withuot me anywhere near it.

It's getting spot sprayed EVERY DAY to make sure it goes down, then it'll be CUT OUT of the ground and more spray. I'm making sure of it.

Thank you for caring :)

See if you can dig the roots up, that was the only way to get rid of it in horses fields, or it just grows back. Saying that though, obviously we couldnt use chemicals on it.

And I think 7x5 is a good size, especially if you can get a taller one to allow for proper binkies, although I'm just going on imagining the size as I dont have one :oops:

For me, seeing how much they enjoy the 14 by 10 foot space I wouldn't like to ever go any smaller than that. I know that's not practical though :oops:

I have a 5ft x 5ft. I know many wouldn't think this is big enough but due to needing to fill it with hay and the lack of concrete space in our garden, it's as large as we can practically go and the rabbits can still run around it and binky in it. :) So whatever size you can get really. :)

I think it depends how long the buns are going out for, and what you want to use the run for. If its just for a graze and some fresh air, and they are only going to be out for 30mins ish then yeah I would say 6x4 would do the job fine.
If they are going to be left there for over an hour then more space would be needed i think.
7x5 seems like a nice size, but bigger is always better :wave:

I have a 6x4 for my indoor pair for when its warmer and its not really big enough to have a good run around :( I usually just take them round my folks house at the weekends to let them out in their garden as its bunny proof

I'd say, just as big as you can afford and fit in your garden :D

Back