• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny vet recommendations for Southampton (or Hampshire)

helennnnnn

Wise Old Thumper
I'm having ongoing health problems with my poorly little bunny. The vet practice I use have several vets, some who seem more competent than others. The last vet I saw was hopeless, she hadn't even read the notes prior to asking me to bring bun in to the room (she thought he'd been on antibiotics for 1 week... it had been 6!).

I live in the centre of Southampton, wouldn't really want to travel too far unless it was for a really good vet as the last few times I've taken him he's not been very happy in the car (crouching in the corner of the carry-box, rather than walking about and nibbling hay like he did the first few times).

Has anyone been to a good bunny vet in the area, or know of anyone who has?

Thanks xx

I don't know of any in Southampton, but Animed in Wickham are apparently very good with rabbits if you bunny could travel that far, prob take you about 25 minutes?

So John Chitty is based in Salisbury, and Kate Chitty is in Andover. They're both about a 45 minute drive for me though :( I have seen good things said about John elsewhere though, and considering I've been going to my vet with the same problem for about 2.5 months I think it may be worth a try! If I can get my Mum to come with me bun may feel a bit better as she can sit in the back with him and give him a cuddle! Bun finishes his most recent antibiotics this weekend so will have a think on Monday!

I don't know of any in Southampton, but Animed in Wickham are apparently very good with rabbits if you bunny could travel that far, prob take you about 25 minutes?

About 35-40 mins according to Google from my house to Wickham...

It's a shame as there are SO many vets near me I just don't want to go to another useless (although friendly and caring) one!

Basingstoke is the same kind of distance, about 45 minutes! I have seen that he goes to Hythe on a Friday late afternoon, but I am thinking that I may need to see someone sooner than next Friday as his antibiotics run out this weekend. And even that is about a half an hour drive as it's the other side of the river to me!

Thanks for your replies though :) If I can't find any decent ones recommended that are within about a 20 minute drive then I think I will just go for it with John. A couple of 45 minute drive each way and fixing the problem would be much more beneficial than 100s of 10 minute drives each way to a useless vet that can't seem to find out what's wrong.

:wave:

I live in Southampton City Centre and use Fareham Companion Care vets in the Pets at Home Store in Fareham (Park Gate) after trying several more local vets. Personally I would not use John Chitty, I don't agree with some of his methods or his bedside manner.

My vet is Pablo Fuentes Bugnone and he is fantastic and very gentle, he has his own bunnies. He gave us an extra year with our very special bunny (by going the extra mile in finding Nino's hidden arthritis and consulting with GWR in Swindon, clinically he's excellent) and he's a lovely guy, he is the practice director. The female vet there, Ashleigh is also very good.

It takes about 20 mins to get there on the M27 :)

I would recommend John Chitty - have always used him for my rabbits and he is an 'exotics' (eg rabbit) expert. He does a clinic nr Andover on a Tuesday morning.

I would definitely recommend John Chitty. I have always gone to him with my rabbits. He is an 'exotics' (eg rabbits) expert. He does a mobile clinic in Andover on a Tuesday morning.

john chitty saw bertie several times with his eye ulcer and it was over an hours drive each way....all that stress and to local vets..i reckon its what sparked the pasturella......:(

Back