• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cleaning out hutches thoroughly.

miss_t

New Kit
Sooty and Sweep are being neutered next Tues and whilst they are at the vet I want to give their hutch a good clean so its nice for them when they come back. I clean out their litter area daily and give the hutch a good clean every few days. At the moment I use a small pet cage disenfectant by Beaphar but wanted to know if there is anything else I could use or a different method to cleaning out hutches properly? :?

I'm planning on sticking with wood pellets for their litter area, I was told to put down soft bedding such as wood chips but don't want to use them. Thought about buying bedding hay from p@h to use instead over the wood pellets but have never used that before. I have ordered a vet bed for them and will also put down old clean towels and blankets as bedding. Is there anything else I should do to make sure their house is safe and snug for them after the op?

Sorry for the many questions :oops:- it's been a long time for me since I had bunnies and they were substanstially bigger than my 2 now so I just want to make sure I am well prepared and organised.

That was bad advice telling you to use wood chips, bunnies shouldn't have any substrate which could stick to the wound post op, your vet bed and towels idea is much better. :D

Jeyes Fluid is good for a good disinfection, but it needs to be aired well. Or a steam cleaner if you have one.

Vinegar and water is good for white staining.

Thanks for the quick reply, I am planning on cleaning out their hutch as soon as I get back from dropping them off so will have plenty of time to air it before they return.

I might be able to borrow a steam cleaner, just want to make sure everything is as clean and hygenic as possible for them so I have one less thing to worry about.

Do you have outdoor buns? If so you'll need to keep them inside overnight as they can't regulate their temperature after a GA. Most vets don't tell you that till you collect the bun by which point is awkward to arrange somewhere if you don't have anything to hand.

They are indoor buns at the moment as we were told to keep them in till the end of April by p@h. However they do get to "play" outside everyday :oops:. Is it best for me to give them a smaller space to run about in indoors for a few days whilst they are healing as well?

Vinegar is good, I use white vinegar in an old pet safe disinfectant bottle so its much easier to use plus lots of warm water.

Back