• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting excited about buying a bale of hay!

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
:wave: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

So, do I need to tell you that I don't get out often? :roll:

I saw an ad in local equine suppliers for bales of hay, can't remember the exact description but sounded good enough to eat :?

I've just rung up, having sorted out storage and spoken to a lovely lady who asked if it was for rabbits and said it's full of little wild plants that bunnies go mad for :love::love::love:

Funnily enough I'm on holiday from my job at Grassington (10 mile trip into the Dales) and today I shall be taking a little drive into the Dales to collect my hay. I've decided to buy two as I'm taking a 16ish mile round trip so thought I'd make it worth my while.

I'm sadly very excited about getting £3.50 bales of hay. (Seeing as I have been spending £35 a month on hay this is part of the reason for such excitement).

I've a feeling I could be gone a while as the lady sounded really friendly. Perhaps I should take Tink with me to sample some before I commit myself to such a big purchase :?

My bunnies love our baled stuff, infact they prefer it to the expensive stuff. I think as meadow hay has lots of natural plants in it as well as the hay itself it adds a bit of extra flavour. Just as well, we use a bale a week so I'd be skint if I had to buy expensive stuff all the time.

That's a good price. :thumb: I've already admitted to being excited about buying cat collars on a different thread so I'm not going to 'fess up to being excited about buying hay as well. (even though I am)

I got some hay from a different place the other day and the lady laughed when I asked if I could see it first to see if the bunnies would like it. :oops::lol::lol::lol:

:wave: :lol::lol::lol::lol:

So, do I need to tell you that I don't get out often? :roll:

I saw an ad in local equine suppliers for bales of hay, can't remember the exact description but sounded good enough to eat :?

I've just rung up, having sorted out storage and spoken to a lovely lady who asked if it was for rabbits and said it's full of little wild plants that bunnies go mad for :love::love::love:

Funnily enough I'm on holiday from my job at Grassington (10 mile trip into the Dales) and today I shall be taking a little drive into the Dales to collect my hay. I've decided to buy two as I'm taking a 16ish mile round trip so thought I'd make it worth my while.

I'm sadly very excited about getting £3.50 bales of hay. (Seeing as I have been spending £35 a month on hay this is part of the reason for such excitement).

I've a feeling I could be gone a while as the lady sounded really friendly. Perhaps I should take Tink with me to sample some before I commit myself to such a big purchase :?

Is this from a lady in Cracoe? That's where I get mine from and that has wild flowers in and my buns adore it!! :love::love:

Is this from a lady in Cracoe? That's where I get mine from and that has wild flowers in and my buns adore it!! :love::love:

:wave: Yes it's from Cracoe!! Out towards Thorpe?

Like the fool I am I've just worked out I *probably* can't get two bales in the back of my Fiesta - what an idiot :oops::oops::oops:

Like the fool I am I've just worked out I *probably* can't get two bales in the back of my Fiesta - what an idiot :oops::oops::oops:

Not even with the back seats down? :( That's one good thing about having lots of kids and a big car - I've got plenty of boot space for hay bales. :lol::lol:

:wave: Yes it's from Cracoe!! Out towards Thorpe?

Ah sounds like the same lady. It's down a long road and then down a gravel track. You can't see the place from the road and it's absolutley beautiful!! My OH saw a sign by the side of the road when he was working up that way and I went to get some last Saturday. It's gorgeous hay and the buns went mad for it!! I'll definitely be going back for more!

If necessary you can split the bales up into slices and you might get them in that way.
be prepared for a very messy car tho :lol:

I get two bales in my KA easily. The farmer told me one lady gets 5 bales in hers! She even has one on the front seat! :shock:

Do you have an old duvet cover to put them in to protect you car from hay everywhere?

Thanks guys.

I had just googled and it said 2x2x4 ft and I know my car's narrowest bit where the seats fold is just over 3ft so that's what made me wonder. I could probable force it in anyway.

It sound promising though. I've taken everything out like the spare petrol and I'm going to put some tarpaulin or something down.

Becky963 - that definitely sounds like the same place, from how she described it. I have seen signs at the side of the road as well but the description of their hay at the Westcumberland shop was really good so found them through that ad.

Not sure of the size difference, but I can get 3 bales of hay in my Clio with the seats down. I stack two bales on top of each other which just leaves enough room down one side to squeeze a third bale in on its side. It need a bit of persuasion, but I always manage it.

Definitely agree with JLG about preparing for a messy car. :lol: You'll certainly need to get the vacuum cleaner out.

Not sure of the size difference, but I can get 3 bales of hay in my Clio with the seats down. I stack two bales on top of each other which just leaves enough room down one side to squeeze a third bale in on its side. It need a bit of persuasion, but I always manage it.

Definitely agree with JLG about preparing for a messy car. :lol: You'll certainly need to get the vacuum cleaner out

Not something I've done for years, I'm unlikely to start now! :lol::lol::lol:

Well I got the hay. The place was well and truly at the back of beyond :shock: I spent ages on a very narrow road following cyclists - they must think I had nothing better to do with my afternoon than watch their little bottoms flexing in black lycra :shock::shock: One of them waved me to pass but to get round him I would have had to hit a limestone wall - no thanks mate, I'll just have to stick with the 'view' a bit longer.

I eventually got there, over the cattle grid and up a hill of a gravel road - the sight in front of me a big horse and a donkey just happily grazing together :love::love: I was then met by a friendly Border Collie :love:

The hay turned out to be £5 per bale but the smell on the way home was heavenly. I struggled a bit with 2 bales in as I couldn't see well out of the back window and the twiddly little road meant if I met someone there would be a 50-50 chance of having to reverse on a narrow road, not good if you can't see :? I could break the bales up though, I suppose.

I filled my storage box with it that is 122 cm x 61 cm x 58 cm, then two 80litre bins, then a bit more, so that should keep us going for a while. The smell of it is just amazing :love::love:

Glad you got it OK. :D

I love the smell when I'm driving home with a car full of lovely fresh hay. :love:

I spent ages on a very narrow road following cyclists - they must think I had nothing better to do with my afternoon than watch their little bottoms flexing in black lycra :shock::shock:

Did you get photos? :D:D

£5 a bale is still a huge saving; I hope the bunnies like it. :thumb:

Yep definitely the same lady!! That Border Collie followed me all the way down the track, I was worrying about running her over!! The hay is lovely, there's loads of wild flowers in it and she doesn't use fertilisers so all organic. Even Zac, who's not a massive hay eater has been tucking in! I'll definitely be going back.

Back