• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So, what constitues a good strand of hay?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
We all give hay to our buns. Piles of the stuff, so much, you often can't think or see for the amount of hay!

So, why are they so god damn fussy about which strand they have? Surely, hay is hay? :lol:

Example:

Place soft meadow hay in litter tray; its ALL lovely and green, some stalky, some not.

Bunny gets nose in and moves it all around looking for a 'good bit' be it stalky or non stalky.

So why dont they just 'eat' the hay, rather than looking around in it?

:lol:

I dont expect a real answer, i just wanted to write it down :lol:

I spend too much time just 'watching' dont i? :lol:

Maybe they just enjoy the rumaging sensation? Normally mine rummage, pick out a strand, eat, then eat one that they had just rejected. :roll:

I dont know, but my 4 obviously found a good bit this morning because they all wanted the same bit! :roll: all looks the same to me :lol:

Buns are very competitive, they have to check that they are getting the best bits compared to their friends.:D

I agree with this! They have lots of hay, I fill it up and one of them finds a good bit, then the other steals it out of their mouth! Why can't they just get a good bit of their own - must be lots of other ones!

I give them fresh hay in there basket, they sit in it eating it, once its been there a while i put it in the poo trays and give them fresh hay again. Then they sit in the poo trays eating the old hay and not the fresh hay in the basket.:roll:

I asked Pickle this question, and this is what he said:

Pickle: The best bit of hay is the bit that's at the bottom of the bin bag that The Mummy has just emptied our litter trays into. As we have to dig our way through wet Megazorb and hundreds of poops, it makes it all the more satisfying when we find it.

:roll::roll::lol::lol:

Mine don't seem to rummage, they just get stuck right in. Unless it's a type they don't like, then they have a sniff, think "oh this is the cheap stuff, we don't want this" and then turn away.

My Mitsu is bad for rumaging. She pushes it forward with her front feet, then she digs it then she pushes it forward again before she finds a bit she likes. Then she pulls it all out of the box and drags it round the room!! Much as I love her, I'm looking forward to her going back outside in a few weeks

Pickle: The best bit of hay is the bit that's at the bottom of the bin bag that The Mummy has just emptied our litter trays into. As we have to dig our way through wet Megazorb and hundreds of poops, it makes it all the more satisfying when we find it.

That is soooo true!:lol:

Oh yes, I have a big green bucket that everything goes into before it goes in the compost bin. Floppy is not seen during the day in his nice clean hutch with loads of lovely fresh hay. He is sitting in the green bucket digging through wee and droppings looking decidedly like the cat who got the cream. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Joejoe & Jessie would like to second this and confirm that what Pickle says is absolutely true :lol:

I give them fresh hay in there basket, they sit in it eating it, once its been there a while i put it in the poo trays and give them fresh hay again. Then they sit in the poo trays eating the old hay and not the fresh hay in the basket.:roll:

I've noticed this too :lol: sometimes when all the hay is squashed in their basket where they've been sat in it, I just give it a bit of a stir up and they munch on it like new. Nothing stopping them from rummaging in it themselves :roll: I'm becomming a bunny slave! :lol:

Back