• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor Buns bedroom bedding Q

Bitzy

Mama Doe
Does anyone use anything other than hay in their buns bedroom??

When my two were outdoors they hardly ever went into the bedroom which was full of hay, since coming indoors I've tried putting hay in their beloved cardboard box but they won't go in it when the hay's there. :?

So I'm just wondering what else I could use in their bedroom to keep them snuggly warm so they'll hopefully start using it when they go back out!

We're planning on lining the whole area with carpet (walls too). Would a few fleeces in there suffice do you think?? (with added insulation etc in winter).

I have given up calling the covered in part of the hutch the 'bedroom' - they drag everything out and sit in the outside part (upstairs) and use what I thought of as the bedroom as their toilet area :roll:
I'm assuming you have at least 2 buns from your message? In which case they will be able to snuggle up to keep warm - my 2 lived out all winter and had no problems with cold, they refused the snugglesafe even at -17 :shock:
I know quite a few people use fleecy blankets so it would be worth a try but personally I wouldn't worry, buns seem to cope better with cold than heat, as long as they are in general good health.

I have a litter tray in the bedroom as that seems to be where they like to go to the toilet. I have a hay bed area for them in the main part as this seems to be where mine prefer to sleep.

I'm the same as JLG I've given up trying to get them to use their bedroom as a bedroom, they just use it as a loo, so there is only a corner tray in there now, although the little so-and-so's still insist on moving it and weeing on the bare wood (even though they use the corner tray in their run) :roll::lol:

I've got carpet upstairs inthe front room bit just on the floor and downstairs they have a pop up tent and if its nippy they have two snugglesafes, one for upstairs one for down in the run - never seen them sit on it though, they just lick it then sit on the cold floor

My two don't sleep in the bed part or the main part. They are normally tucked up together on the paving slabs downstairs or on one of the wooden shelves I added! I still make a warm bed out of straw for them but it is a toilet for them!

I always put a layer of newspaper and then loads of hay on top. When it comes to cleaning out time it means you can just roll all the mess up in the newspaper like at the fish and chip shop if you see what I mean? Sorry for the gross comparison :lol:

:wave: mine are the same, took me a while to realise that they were sleeping out in the main part and using bed room as a toilet and not using litter tray...moved the litter tray to bed room and they use it and only have to replace that during the week with big clean at weekend...we are all happy now and less frustrated! I think they like the privacy when they go to the lav !
Btw- I don't put anything on the floor any more in the main part as they just kick it out but hutch is lined with that black plastic floor which is great, litter tray is megasorb with straw/hay on top. X

Last edited:
Thanks for your input everyone. :D

The new hutch is almost 8ft long (double decker) so we're thinking of having a 'bedroom' on both floors, think I'll put the litter tray in one of the 'bedrooms' and some fleeces in the other one so they can go to the loo in private and use the other one as a bolt hole/sleep room. Both 'bedrooms' will be lined with carpet (buns are very good at only weeing in their litter tray these days) and the 'day' rooms will be lined with lino.

In winter we're planning on securing see through tarp around the aviary so they won't get any draughts and I'll also put a snuggle safe in the 'bedroom' with the fleeces, hopefully they'll use that to sleep in!

Thanks for your input everyone. :D

The new hutch is almost 8ft long (double decker) so we're thinking of having a 'bedroom' on both floors, think I'll put the litter tray in one of the 'bedrooms' and some fleeces in the other one so they can go to the loo in private and use the other one as a bolt hole/sleep room. Both 'bedrooms' will be lined with carpet (buns are very good at only weeing in their litter tray these days) and the 'day' rooms will be lined with lino.

In winter we're planning on securing see through tarp around the aviary so they won't get any draughts and I'll also put a snuggle safe in the 'bedroom' with the fleeces, hopefully they'll use that to sleep in!

Sounds all great Jo :wave:

With regards to the bold bit. We will see ;)

Mine have lino on the floor and a big litter tray with litter and hay in. They either sleep in the litter tray or on a towel I've placed on the floor. If it's sunny, they catch the rays in the run :lol:

Mine have lino on the floor and a big litter tray with litter and hay in. They either sleep in the litter tray or on a towel I've placed on the floor. If it's sunny, they catch the rays in the run :lol:

Thanks, do they ever try and eat the towel - or wee on it?

I have given up calling the covered in part of the hutch the 'bedroom' - they drag everything out and sit in the outside part (upstairs) and use what I thought of as the bedroom as their toilet area
I'm assuming you have at least 2 buns from your message? In which case they will be able to snuggle up to keep warm - my 2 lived out all winter and had no problems with cold, they refused the snugglesafe even at -17
I know quite a few people use fleecy blankets so it would be worth a try but personally I wouldn't worry, buns seem to cope better with cold than heat, as long as they are in general good health.

Exactly this, I give up with them! :lol:

They prefer to snooze in the run ontop of the pet carrier......:roll:

Back