• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

78 year old rabbit story ...

Nemily

Warren Scout
I went to see my nan in hospital the other night. she loves to tell stories of her childhood on the farm in yorkshire.

We told her we were having rabbits and she laughed and told us the story of her own family rabbit.

Apparently a wild rabbit took to residing in the family garden. gradually it came to the family for food, then started to hop into the house tentively, and eventually more and more until eventually becoming a house bun! it lived in the house, with the dogs and a cat that they acuired cos someone simply threw it through their door one day (never had locked doors back then). the rabbit thought it was a dog and lay with the dog and the cat on the hearth. when the family went out for walks, the rabbit came with them, hopping along side them down the country lanes and farm tracks. the rabbit, cat and dog would all chase and run around together!

Forward on .. In my own childhood, I remember my nan taming wild birds to come inside the kitchen door to get food. One blackbird, baabaa, used to take the food from her hands. We all got to sit and watch but had to stay very very still and very very quiet.

I also remember her having a wild hedgehog living in the garden. it had a box in the garden and she fed it everday and it would come to get the food at night (never came indoors though) and never actually got to meet it. We got to stay over one night purely so we could watch from the garden when it came to get its food.

Then suddenly it disappeared. She feared that it had died. but a few weeks later, it returned, with a load of tiny ones for its bread and milk treat.:love:

Nan never kept animals in my childhood, but always maintained she loved them but she did adopt a tortoise which came across her one day. another box in the garden, jacob lasted for years but she never knew where it came from!

These days, she is in sheltered accom, and doesnt have the ability to feed her wildies, but needless to say, she's an animal lover and all the animals in the family love my nan!

awwww, how lovely:love:

i went to see an elderly aunt of mine yesterday and told her about my buns - apparently she had a belgian hare as a child (and various other pets as she too lived on a farm)

Lovely story :love:

My OH grew up in the Peak District, although it wasn't a farm, they did live in an old farm house surrounded by fields. When they went for walks with the dog, the cat used to follow them and also their pet sheep and their ducks! :lol: I would loved to have seen that, must have been a funny sight :D I can't remember if the rabbit came with them but it wouldn't surprise me if it did.

What a beautiful story, your nan sounds lovely. I think the animals must of known her kindness as well to stay as long as they did:love::love:
How is your nan(you said she was in hospital) hope it's nothing serious xxx

thanks guys, its nice to share a story!

My nan is 83 now and whilst she came out of hospital yesterday (she is there a lot) does not enjoy good health anymore, but when she talks of her childhood she becomes very animated and I love to hear those stories :love:

ha ha , the 78 year old rabbit would have been a good story :lol:

Back