• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you think you could bond a baby rabbit with two males who are 1 and already bonded

I saw in the local pet shop today a baby female lop. She looked so scared and I so wanted to have her. But do you think she could be bonded in with my two boys. They are brothers and litter mates, bonded really well, both neutered. They are coming up to 1 year old. this female was very little.

Do you think they would bully her!? Or fight amongst themselves.

Am maybe just being silly and wishing to save every bunny in a pet shop! But just wondered.

There is a chance it may work, however it could also upset your boys and you could end up with 3 single buns.

There is only one way of finding out, however if you go down this route ensure that you may an informed decision about all outcomes and how you would handle each and everyone of them rather than take on the additional rabbit and then descide if it doesnt work that you cannot keep all three of them.

Thanks for that! I don't want to upset the boys. They are really settled and adore each other. I think I was just being over sentimental with the other baby. I hate pet shops selling rabbits. She also looked like she had a really bad tummy problem. There were runny poos all over her area.

I felt so bad for her. But I wouldn't want to upset the relationship of my two and have to separate them all or worse get rid of one. I think I will stick with my two!

Thanks for advice! :D

I would be quite cautious about it. Males tend to be more prone to fighting and waving a female under their nose is a possible trigger for that. Once boys have fought it can be difficult, sometimes impossible to get them back together so it depends whether that's a risk you are prepared for and have a backup plan if it happens.

If it's not practical, perhaps you could talk to the shop owner and see if they are willing to put up some welfare posters or similar. Little things like that can sometimes help a lot more than you'd think :)

Thanks Tamsin

Having thought about it, I will stick as we are. The boys are happy and I don't want to break their bond.

I was thinking I might speak to the pet shop about the baby's messy bum. She had two bowls full of the food with all the sweet stuff in. If they are doing that in the shop not sure how they will be educating people that buy her.

Thanks all for your advice

Back