• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffy has been sneezing for some time

Mia

Warren Scout
Hi

Havnt been on here for a while. My 7 yr old, Snuffy, has been sneezing since before Christmas.

I have had him checked out by the vets, who was not overly concerned. He advised we would try him on metacam to see if this makes any difference but I was not overly keen. There is no discharge, he has never had teeth problems (unlike his brother) It seems to be one particular nostril that annoys him. They have been inside thorughout the winter, which they do every year, esp due to their age now and the harsh winters we recently had.

They are starting to go out again in the daytime into their hutches. He does not seem to be in ill health at all. His eyes are also a bit watery but again no discharge.

I hoover every day, and there are no air freshners near where they settle each night.

Does anyone have any ideas? I would imagine if it was something sinister it would have "emerged" now?

no I dont. Plus they have been living indoors for the whole of the winter. :)

ooo :) my casper gets snuffles, he does not get discharge from his nose, but sounds snuffly as his infection effects his chest. did your vet check his chest? xx

no not as far as i can see, i have had a look up there with a torch and so has the vet.

snuffy is still sneezing, and it has been a little while since i posted this thread. He spends a good deal of time outside now the weather is better, it seems to be one nostril that is causing him the most difficulty.

Does anyone have any ideas, are there any vets that could potentially shed some light. My vet could not see anything wrong with him, and his chest is clear. I guess I am just worried I am missing something.

My bunny has had a problem with his nose. It started out as just sneezing, but after having his Myxi jab it brought it on a bit further with sneezing and snottiness! I took him to an exotic pet vet last Tuesday, who did x-rays and identified where the snot/pus is coming from, and flushed his nose out. He is stil sneezing now but he doesn't seem to be so snotty. I am taking him back again tomorrow so that the vet can have another look at him, and maybe flush his nose out again. He kind of explained to me what he thought the problem was, but I was so relieved to pick him up last week after he spent 10 hours there, that I wasn't really listening :oops: I will try to listen harder tomorrow!

Forgot to say, it is also just one nostril that is causing the problem.

oh thanks for that, it could be that I guess, it would make sense, as if it was anything more serious, it should have come about by now??

Back