• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would you do if you were me? To bond or wait? (snuffles)

nessar

Warren Veteran
I have a situation and cant figure it out by myself, I'll try and make it as simple and short as possible, I could really do with knowing what you would do in my situation.

Barney is a single neutered bun, he has snuffles, and had 15 days of baytril and 3 days of eyedrops for it. Vet says it is a low grade chronic respiratory infection, he thinks it has cleared up and just the runny eyes symptom remains, not gunky, just running. He reckons he also has scarring from a previous infection (eta- but we dont know his medical history). As Barney is fine in himself, he has stopped treatment and wants me to report back in a month.

Problem is, Barney is going into boarding for the entire month of June. I desperately dont want him to be alone, feeling abandoned for this amount of time. So I did want to bond him BEFORE boarding, have passed a homecheck and a short list of rabbits is ready. But he still has runny eyes and this low grade infection.

If he goes into boarding at the start of June, when would you say would be the latest I could start bonding? The worst thing would be for them to split up under the stress of boarding.

I dont think his eyes will clear up soon, especially not without treatment. Does this mean I cannot bond him until they have stopped running, or can I? I cant work out from what the vet said whether he is actually ill or not :?

What would you do? Would you bond now so he doesnt have that month all alone, or forget about it and wait till July and contact the rescue again for a new home check then? (I'm moving house).

Please help someone :(

Last edited:
It will depend on what the rescue's policy is. I would speak to them and see what they want to do. We are in a similar situation. Both my buns are snuffly, with a bit of nasal discharge, but vet has been reluctant to treat, although they are now both on Septrin. They still sneeze a bit and have a slight runny nose and are over half way through the treatment.

We were hoping to add another bun to make a trio. This has been on hold until they are stable, but when do you decide that they are as well as they can be? Widget the one with the worst symptoms had a culture and sensitivity test but nothing showed up. Sprocket has tested positive for Pseudomonas, which is a stubborn bacterial infection. They are otherwise fine in themselves. The bun we are hoping to adopt is vulnerable, we therefore don't want to risk his health whilst ours our ill. But if they stay at this level of infection then we prbably can't go through with it.

It will depend on what the rescue's policy is. I would speak to them and see what they want to do. We are in a similar situation. Both my buns are snuffly, with a bit of nasal discharge, but vet has been reluctant to treat, although they are now both on Septrin. They still sneeze a bit and have a slight runny nose and are over half way through the treatment.

We were hoping to add another bun to make a trio. This has been on hold until they are stable, but when do you decide that they are as well as they can be? Widget the one with the worst symptoms had a culture and sensitivity test but nothing showed up. Sprocket has tested positive for Pseudomonas, which is a stubborn bacterial infection. They are otherwise fine in themselves. The bun we are hoping to adopt is vulnerable, we therefore don't want to risk his health whilst ours our ill. But if they stay at this level of infection then we prbably can't go through with it.

Thanks for replying.

See Barney hasnt had a culture done of the bacteria so we dont know what we are dealing with I guess, but he thinks it pasturella. And it is his first time that I know of that he has had the infection. Although I have only had him nearly 6 months and as the vet reckons he has scarring I guess he must have had it before.

Any bun I adopt will be healthy, and the rescue doesnt mind the fact that he has pasturella, as she said its likely the rescue bunnies will have come into contact with it anyway whilst being there, as somebun is bound to be a carrier with no symptoms. The new bunny will catch it anyway from him I guess, although hopefully not the snuffles part, just the bacteria.

And then of course there is the moral issue of whether for my bunny's happiness I should endanger another's health.

Back