• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do these nails need clipping? Help please :-)

Bitzy

Mama Doe
:wave:

As Dizzi and Rascal have been inside all winter, I'm beginning to worry about their nails and if they need clipping!

How long is too long?? I'm adding a couple of pics but not sure if you'll be able to tell their length!? (they don't poke out any further than their fur on their paws if that helps).

Photo2019.jpg

Photo1989.jpg

Photo1603.jpg

They look fine to me- I don't like to cut them too as i've caught the quick before- rather leave a little on the safe side and let them wear it down naturally on concrete etc. They look happy and well looked after to me- I often get mine clipped at the vets to save time - some buns have it done once a month, some a little bit longer.

:wave: Thanks

They're not going for their vacs til June ....... but hopefully they'll be going back outdoors (part concrete paving, part grass) at the end of next month so that may help wear them down again.

Is there anything I can give them to do (other than dig the carpets) to help wear them down naturally??

You can't see the nail from the pictures but just look at the nail and you should be asble to see the quick, If the nail has grown alot longer than the quick then they should be clipped, if its just a little bit longer then its fine.

If your not confident doing it yourself, ask your vet and they should show you how its done, its a good idea to bring someone else with you so they know how to hold them while its been done as in my opinion clipping a rabbits nails is a two person job.

Back