• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best outdoor accommodation for a foursome?

Which type of accommodation would be 'best' for a bonded foursome?

• 6x4 shed with 6x10 open mesh aviary

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • 7x5 shed with 7x9 open mesh aviary

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Dog Kennel - 6x4 closed area, 6x10 run, open on two sides

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dog Kennel - 7x5 closed area, 7x9 run, open on two sides

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

Alfagirl

Mama Doe
Wait for the poll....

Just wanting the very knowledgeable RU to help me decide what type of accommodation the Furry Four will be moved to when they go outside.

Any ideas kindly accepted!! :wave:

I chose 7x5 shed with the avery option... mainly because I think the bigger the better and that is what my foursome will have when we start work on it over the summer (for now they have a hutch and a 6x6 ft avery attached, with plenty of free range time!!) :D

Ok, thanks for your answers - now I'll explain some of my thinking! :lol::lol:

I agree that the 7x5 enclosed area (shed or kennel) is bigger, but the outdoor area wouldn't be as long (10ft Vs 9ft), so is square footage more important than number of hops in a row?

Also, the enclosed kennel run Vs aviary part was to gauge oppinion on how important protection from the elements is when bunnies are in the run. An aviary would be open on all four sides, whereas the kennel run is only mesh on two sides, giving more shelter.

Any thoughts?

I suppose I was thinking that the 6x10 run is 60 sq ft whereas the 7x9 run is 63 sq foot so although the 10' run gives an extra foot of length you get an extra 3' total with the 7x9. I'd personally rather go for bigger overall space than an extra foot in length - as with 9' they are still going to have a lovely long space to run (our run is only 8' long for instance) so may as well have the extra width. Just what I think though - I dont suppose there is any right or wrong - just what you think is best.

I see where you are coming from with the aviary. If its attached to the shed, they will have one side that is closed in and they can always run back in to the shed for security. I havent got an aviary set-up so cant really comment though on whats better.

I like the dog kennel as they are protected from the elements during the winter and easier to spend time with them.

If they are like mine, they only tend to sit in one part of the kennel :roll: (however they do get lots of free range time)

More space the better.

I have the 6 ft set up, and the only thing I would fault it on is the height for me! Its 5 ft at the front and 4 ft at the back, and I still keep bumping my head.

I am going to extent it during the summer and add another 6ftx5ft open run for choice more than anything.

Then I am hoping that I will get 6 bunnies

For four rabbits I think you need a shed with a few levels inside so they can get away from each other when needed. Once you have that the bigger the run the better.

Back