• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New foster bun possibly pregnant. I need HELP!!!!!!

Alibunmum

Wise Old Thumper
At the weekend the rescue I foster for brought me two female rabbits. The person who previously had them had quite a few buns and none of them neutered. They were fairly definite that the two I have had never been with a male but to be honest, who knows! I haven't done anything in the way of vacc or spaying until they have been here long enough that we are sure they are not pregnant.

I now have a beautifully constructed nest in the back of their sleeping area with more fur being added daily. I know that it is a common behaviour in females who are not spayed but I need to be prepared.

What should I be doing for her assuming she is pregnant? I have nil experience of this, all mine are neutered!

At the weekend the rescue I foster for brought me two female rabbits. The person who previously had them had quite a few buns and none of them neutered. They were fairly definite that the two I have had never been with a male but to be honest, who knows! I haven't done anything in the way of vacc or spaying until they have been here long enough that we are sure they are not pregnant.

I now have a beautifully constructed nest in the back of their sleeping area with more fur being added daily. I know that it is a common behaviour in females who are not spayed but I need to be prepared.

What should I be doing for her assuming she is pregnant? I have nil experience of this, all mine are neutered!

Hi,
Is she in a cage on her own? I have heard of female bunnies killing or harming one anothers babies if they share a hutch. I have not had much experience myself with pregnant bunnies but have owned rabbits for about 20 years. The one female who accidentally escaped and got pregnant, we were told by the vets that she wasn't and she built her nest quite late so we did not really do much to help her prepare as we thought it was a phantom. The best advice I can give is to give her plenty of food and hay to eat and make a nest with. Keep her somewhere quiet and warm and keep an eye on her. Has she got a big appetite? Does she seem lumpy of overweight? I read lots of info about rabbit pregnancies to help me feel more knowlegeable. My bunny luckily was the perfect mum and raised all her babies with no problems and from what ive heard, most bunnies do fine if you leave them to it. It is in their instincts. Sorry this is not that helpful. Really hope everything goes well for you :)

I have no experience with real pregnancies, but I had two foster girls in the same situation as yours, and luckily it was a phantom! Sending lots of no baby vibes for your girl! xx

Back